Clinton campaign deal with the DNC a disgrace

This July 26, 2016 file photo shows former head of the Democratic National Committee Donna Brazile speaking during the second day of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. (Paul Sancya, file/AP)

Last week, former interim Democratic National Committee Chairman Donna Brazile released an excerpt from her upcoming book about the 2016 presidential election that left many in complete shock. According to Brazile, the DNC agreed to a deal with Hillary Clinton’s campaign in 2015 which “specified that in exchange for raising money and investing in the DNC, Hillary would control the party's finances, strategy and all the money raised. Her campaign had the right of refusal of who would be the party communications director, and it would make final decisions on all the other staff. 

Prominent Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren was asked point blank by CNN’s Jake Tapper if she agreed with the notion that the election was rigged. Her answer was an emphatic, “Yes." This unbelievable discovery shows that one of the two major political parties in our country essentially rigged its primary election process a year before any vote was cast. The shock and outrage has been loud from some but, not surprisingly, mainstream media refuses to give this story the attention it deserves.

If you were a supporter of Bernie Sander’s presidential run, you should be absolutely outraged by this discovery. Bernie’s campaign manager Jeff Weaver said it best. "I think the DNC should apologize to the millions and millions of people who put their heart and souls into the campaign on both sides, frankly...It was not a fair process.”

The DNC’s job is to facilitate the primary election and support the eventual Democratic candidate. But what happened was a proxy Clinton campaign that focused every effort to tip the election in favor of Hillary Clinton before Bernie Sanders or anyone else even had a chance. This is just one of many scandals that plagued the DNC during the 2016 election cycle. Donna Brazile is not free of blame in this either, as she famously admitted to giving Hillary Clinton primary debate questions before the event while Brazile worked at CNN.

W may be the most shocking aspect of Brazile's insight is the fact that former President Barack Obama left the Democratic party in deep debt. According to Brazile, “Obama left the party $24 million in debt - $15 million in bank debt and more than $8 million owed to vendors after the 2012 campiagn and had been paying that off very slowly.”  For a president who has been seen as such an uplifting force for the party, this is a terrible way to leave it. It is possible that President Obama was completely frustrated by the lack of success in recent elections but this is clearly not the way to rebuild the party.

Leading up to election day, countless pundits questioned how the Republican Party could ever let Donald Trump become its nominee. There were people saying that the party was dead; there was widespread belief that there was mass division and chaos inside the party. Clearly the election results showed the party is alive and well. I find myself asking, “What happened to the Democratic Party? What happened to the party of the working class? What happened to the party of FDR and JFK?”

My grandfather was an incredibly hard working truck driver who adored JFK beyond belief. If my grandfather was alive today, there is no doubt in my mind he’d be totally shocked and appalled at the state of his once-beloved party. It’s one thing to despise a candidate and do everything a party can to win, but to completely throw ethics out the window and do everything in their power to rig a primary election is completely appalling. It’s a sad day when one of the two major political parties in our country chooses corruption and scandal over doing what they were created to do, support and represent the people of our country.

Alexander Grzelak is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at alexander.grzelak@uconn.edu.