Fantasy Football: Week 10 start/sit

FILE - In this Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017, file photo, Los Angeles Rams' Jared Goff throws a pass during the second half of an NFL football game against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, N.J. Goff's rough rookie season is fading into memory with each outstanding performance this fall for the surging Rams.  (Julio Cortez, File/AP)

Each of last week’s starts was on your fantasy bench by Sunday. Deshaun Watson tore his ACL, rendering him and Will Fuller V useless. Ezekiel Elliot somehow got yet another appeal to his suspension, taking away all of Alfred Morris’ value. Hopefully you reacted appropriately and didn’t start Fuller or Morris, and let’s hope there isn’t any news nullifying this week’s starts before they even have a chance. The drawbacks of writing this column on a Wednesday…

Wide receiver and quarterback “sits” Kelvin Benjamin and Jameis Winston faced a similar fate. Benjamin was ruled inactive before Thursday night’s game since he had just joined the Bills via trade. Winston was knocked out of his game against the Saints with an injury.

Running back sit Kenyon Drake was the only player to actually reach Sunday with the same expectations, and he performed well. Drake rushed nine times for 69 yards and caught six passes for 35 more.

What an absolute mess. It’s hard to get more unlucky that last week, so here goes Week 10.

Start: QB Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams

Goff had an amazing day against the hapless Giants last week, needing just 14 completions to pass for 311 yards and four touchdowns. That kind of efficiency is tough to replicate and I’m usually not a fan of “chasing” points from last week, but Goff needs to be in your lineup this week. Goff has quietly been a good fantasy quarterback in the right matchups, and he certainly has one on Sunday. The Texans are giving up the fourth-most fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks and Goff is a great bet to continue that trend.

Sit: QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

Roethlisberger is a popular start this week because of his matchup with the Colts, but don’t fall for it. The frequent narrative of Roethlisberger’s terrible home-road splits isn’t as dynamic this year, but he put up just 12 fantasy points in Kansas City a few weeks ago. The Colts defense might be bad, but the Chiefs are even worse in terms of fantasy points allowed to quarterbacks. Roethlisberger can be kept on your bench this week despite the juicy matchup in Indianapolis coming off a bye.

Start: RB Orleans Darkwa, New York Giants

As a Giants fan, I’ve been conditioned to stay away from every Giants running back. However, I think Darkwa is a solid play this week against the league-worst 49ers rushing defense. Darkwa has been surprisingly decent the past four games, averaging 5.4 yards per carry. The Giants should be in the game to the point where they can still run the ball (but they might get blown out again), so plug Darkwa into your lineup with a safe floor and high ceiling.

Sit: RB Adrian Peterson, Arizona Cardinals

Over the last five games, the Seahawks have allowed only 56 rushing yards per game and 2.8 yards per carry. Peterson tore up the 49ers last week with 37 carries for 159 yards, but those 37 carries aren’t going to hold up so well on a short week. Peterson might have trouble finding room to run on Thursday night and the Seahawks are probably going to be leading for most of the game, forcing Drew Stanton to throw the ball much more than last week. Consider benching Peterson if you have better options.

Start: WR Robby Anderson, New York Jets

Anderson has put up three consecutive weeks of at least 11 fantasy points in half-point per reception leagues. He’s done that against the Dolphins, Falcons and Bills, three top-15 defenses in terms of fantasy points allowed to receivers. This week, Anderson gets to take on the Buccaneers’ hapless secondary that is giving up the second-most fantasy points to wide receivers. With a few extra days of rest since last Thursday’s game, Anderson should have a big day against the Bucs.

Sit: WR Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers

If you’re a Nelson owner, you know how bad the last few weeks with Brett Hundley have been. I expected the Packers to be better offensively coming out of the bye week, but Nelson had just four receptions for 35 yards a game after catching one pass for 13 yards. Nelson takes on the Bears, who limited him to four catches with Aaron Rodgers at the helm, so keep him on your bench until the Packers figure things out.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.