Students sign new SF Responsibility Agreement

The SF Responsibility Agreement issued by the Bursar's Office was a "positive service indicator" and did not put a hold on student's accounts. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The SF Responsibility Agreement that appeared in University of Connecticut student accounts as they registered for classes, was a “positive service indicator” that did not put a hold on student’s accounts, according to University Bursar Margaret Selleck.

The SF Responsibility Agreement is a statement of the financial responsibilities that students agree upon attending UConn, and took a year to create, Selleck said.

The indicator was used to draw attention to this agreement this semester, and in future semesters students may see a hold placed on their account if they don’t re-sign it, Selleck said.

The agreement responsibilities include timely payments even if there is an administrative, clerical or technical billing error on an account, Selleck said. Late payment fees, financial holds on registration, collection agencies’ role in delinquent accounts and other conditions are included in the agreement, she said.

Selleck said so far, over 80 percent of students have signed the agreement.  

Triana Feliconio, a third-semester speech, language and hearing sciences major, said she was not aware she had to sign the agreement until the day before her registration time.

“When I saw I had a hold, I panicked and quickly signed the agreement so I could register,” Feliconio said.

UConn follows the rest of the state universities in the creation of this type of agreement, Selleck said.

“(The SF Responsibility Agreement) drives home the idea that the fee bill is yours since you’re the one receiving the diploma,” Selleck said.

Sara Sponzo, a first-semester allied health sciences major said she was surprised about the agreement’s responsibilities.

“It’s good I took the time out to read the Responsibility Agreement,” Sponzo said. “I saw the agreement as more than a “hold,” but rules and procedures that could potentially affect me in the future.”

Selleck said she does not see updates to the agreement in the near future.

The SF Responsibility Agreement will be available each semester for students to re-sign to stay up to date with their financial obligations and responsibilities as students at the university, Selleck said.

Roisin Coleman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at raisin.coleman@uconn.edu.