Community college stands by employee accused of stealing speech

Police have stated that the investigation into the incident is still ongoing. (Courtesy/QVCC)

Quinebaug Valley Community College released a statement on its website Thursday afternoon regarding Catherine Gregory, an advisor for the college, who was accused of stealing Gateway Pundit White House correspondent Lucian Wintrich’s speech papers at the University of Connecticut Tuesday night.

"Quinebaug Valley Community College confirms that one of its employees attended a speech given by Mr. Wintrich at the University of Connecticut," the statement said. "The employee attended on her personal time and QVCC learned about the incident when reported in the media. The College does not condone the behavior and encourages peaceful discourse and compassionate debate. The employee attended the event as a private citizen."

The woman, who has not yet been officially identified, took the papers from the podium during the speech, and Wintrich retaliated by grabbing her shoulders. Wintrich was arrested that night for a second degree breach of peace.

The Gateway Pundit accused Gregory of stealing Wintrich’s papers Tuesday night.

“A number of people later identified the woman as a faculty member of a nearby community college and even went so far as to state that many of the rioting leftists in the audience were, in fact, community college professors,” Gateway said in the post.

Wintrich repeated this statement in an interview with The Daily Campus.

“I...think it’s wild that the woman who grabbed my speech is in her mid-40s and is an advisor of a community college. This middle aged woman who is advising students was a ringleader who tried to get the talk shut down,” Wintrich said. “We have a team of people, we put out a request and got as much information as possible and were able to identify her.”

Wintrich said he plans to pursue legal action against the woman.

“I will say that woman needs to be fired immediately,” Wintrich said.

Police have stated that the investigation into the incident is still ongoing.

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.