Controlled breathing calms our nerves

Yogis have used controlled breathing for centuries in order to promote concentration. According to the New York Times, controlled breathing practices can reduce symptoms associated with anxiety, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and attention deficit disorder. (Kim Nguyen/The Daily Campus)

Do you ever feel stressed out and need to wind down? Almost all of us feel this way and need a chance to relax for once. To calm our nerves, there have been many remedies proven to de-stress ourselves, such as drinking a hot beverage, listening to music, watching a favorite TV show or spending time with friends. However, did you know that controlled breathing can help us de-stress?  

Controlled breathing is a form of meditation that helps increase our awareness. In controlled breathing, one monitors the number of times that they are breathing. For instance, if one is lying down, he or she would breathe until his or her belly expands, pause and then exhale. The person would continue this process for a designated number of times to maintain a steady breathing routine.

Yogis have used controlled breathing for centuries in order to promote concentration. According to the New York Times, controlled breathing practices can reduce symptoms associated with anxiety, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and attention deficit disorder.

There are theories related to the maintenance of controlled breathing. One theory suggests that controlled breathing determines how our body’s nervous system can respond. When we continue to change the way that we breathe, we send signals to our brain that can slow heart rate and promote feelings such as calmness.

Steady breathing alerts the brain that everything is normal. As a result, such breathing provides a form of relief for the brain, which calms the mind and allows it to function without stress.

If you are interested in implementing controlled breathing in your daily routine, look no further! The following tips below are some tips that you can follow to implement controlled breathing in your regimen.

Controlled Breathing Routine 1

• Sit upright or lie down. Place your hands on your belly.
  • Breathe in slowly to expand your belly. Count for five seconds.
  • Pause, then breathe out for six seconds.
  • Practice the routine above for at least 15 minutes each day.

Controlled Breathing Routine 2 (Stress Relief Routine)

• Sit up on the floor or on a chair.
  • Place your hands on your belly and inhale to “fill” your belly. While inhaling, lean forward.
  • When you exhale, lean backward. Exhale until you are out of breath.
  • Repeat these steps for at least 15 times.

Use these routines to your advantage. Consider having a relaxing session with your friends. Remember, daily breathing helps calm the mind and allows us to establish a frame of awareness and concentration. Controlled breathing is for our benefit.

Anusha Kumar is a contributor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anusha.kumar@uconn.edu.