John Mulaney's 'Kid Gorgeous' tour hits Jorgensen, leaves crowd in stitches

John Mulaney at PaleyFest Fall TV Previews 2014 for the TV show "Mulaney." (Dominic D/Wikimedia Creative Commons)

Last night, Jorgensen hosted renowned comedian John Mulaney. Mulaney is known for his Netflix specials “New in Town” and “The Comeback Kid.” After the opening act, he strolled onstage and exclaimed, “As a boy, I had a dream I would play the Jorgensen in Storrs, Connecticut!” The audience roared with laughter and kept on laughing until after he left the stage over an hour later.

Jacob Stockman, a first-semester marketing major, believed John Mulaney was “a great person to bring to UConn, because of the fanbase.” He has fans of all ages from across the United States. People from all over Connecticut came in to see him perform, even students from UConn Hartford.

Pratima Singh, a seventh-semester English major from the Hartford campus, proclaimed she had “seen all of his tours.” Stockman said he had seen “all of his Netflix stuff, basically everything ever.”

Mulaney went over a vast range of subjects.

He spent some time lamenting a letter he received from his college asking for donations. He told the audience he had spent $120,000 to attend that college. He declared that if you donate money as the colleges ask, then “college is a $120,000 hooker and you’re the idiot who fell in love with her.”

He went on to say, “College is like a four year game show of ‘Do my friends hate me or do I just need to sleep?’ Except instead of winning money, you pay $120,000!” After around 10 minutes of ranting about this letter, he murmured, “so I donated money.”

Mulaney also touched on politics. He declared Trump is “like a horse loose in a hospital; no one knows what’s gonna happen, least of all the horse. He’s never been in a hospital!” He began talking about how everyone was trying to keep up with what the “horse” was doing, even those who don’t care about politics. Mulaney mentioned, “The creepiest days are when you don’t hear from the horse at all,” but then sometimes there are tweets that say things like, “the horse used the elevator,” and people go, “I didn’t know he knew how to do that.”

By touching on the collective fear many of the audience members feel about the current presidency and turning it into an animal metaphor, he managed to bring humor into what many audience members consider a volatile situation. He even managed to transform Trump’s virtual demolition of the checks and balances system into a joke by saying, “And for a while we were like, ‘Maybe the horse catcher will catch the horse,’ but then the horse was like, ‘I have fired the horse catcher.’”

Besides issues of politics and expensive college tuitions, Mulaney also made several less controversial jokes.

He spent a great deal of time ranting about Grandpa Joe from “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” He seemed particularly upset over Grandpa Joe’s “miraculous” ability to walk after spending 40 years in bed. He believed Charlie should have flipped out and turned on his so-called bedridden grandpa. After all, Charlie’s family was barely getting by, seeing as they all had to “chip in for a chocolate bar.” Mulaney exclaimed, “If he could walk, he should have been working!”

His impressions of old-timey police sirens versus modern sirens nearly killed the audience. He moved his head in circles as he released what he called a “slow and beautiful” sound of an old-fashioned police car. There was something comical about a 35-year-old man releasing a noise which he likened to that of a dying cat. Modern sirens, on the other hand, sounded more like “two sirens calling to each other,” or as if there was a “DJ remixing it in the backseat.”

It was easy for audience members to find a joke to relate to, as Mulaney covered jokes of all categories. As an English major, Singh was particularly blown away by Mulaney’s joke about English majors “receiving a degree in books you pretended to read.”

Mulaney even read a copy of the Daily Campus to specialize his joke for this specific audience. Stockman loved Mulaney’s attack on the “It’s Okay to Be White” event that occurred earlier in the week.

Mulaney tied his jokes together by throwing references from a previous joke into the punchline of the new joke. This always got a fresh bout of laughter from the audience, despite the fact that they were already cracking up.

His clever jokes and fantastic delivery made this comedy show an incredibly hilarious time.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.maher@uconn.edu.