Winter intersession courses offered

Students can visit summerwinter.uconn.edu for more information on UConn Winter Courses. Students can call 860-486-0465 or email summersession@uconn.edu. (Screenshot/Winter Sessions)

Students can still register for winter intersession courses at the University of Connecticut from now until Tuesday, Dec. 12 when the payment for the course is due, according to the winter session website.

UConn’s three-week winter course session runs from Dec. 26 to Jan. 12, 2018. Over 60 courses are offered and can be taken on all of UConn’s campuses: Avery Point, Hartford, Stamford, Storrs, and Waterbury. Housing and meal plans are available for students who take a winter session class at Storrs.

Some UConn students found the course offerings helpful, allowing them to focus on specific classes and catch up on credits.

“Taking a winter class allows me to subjectively focus my efforts into one subject for a period of time, allowing me to better understand [the subject] more in depth,” Larry Zhu, fifth semester accounting major, said.

Third semester communications major, Winfield Zhou, agreed that taking a winter course would help.

“I feel like it’s helpful if you’re behind on credits or behind on classes,” Zhou said.

Third semester ACES student, Jennifer Luo, said she was concerned about the pricing for off-campus housing, saying that her family would not have “enough money to enroll in classes and live on campus.” She would spend less money going to a community college in her state, Luo said.

The number of UConn students taking Winter Session courses increases as they seek to stay on track for graduation, Susanna M. Cowan, director of the Office of Summer and Winter Programs wrote in an email.

“Over 1500 UConn students have already enrolled in nearly 70 online courses for Winter 2018,” Cowan wrote in an email. “Winter courses truly maximize a student’s ability to make a meaningful impact on their academic career in a short, intensive burst.”

Students can visit summerwinter.uconn.edu for more information on UConn Winter Courses. Students can call 860-486-0465 or email summersession@uconn.edu.

Kim Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.