Women’s Hockey: UConn set for weekend series against No. 10 Providence

The Huskies have only three games left until their winter break and will be looking to capture their elusive first conference win against an impressive Providence team. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

Fresh off her stellar weekend after being named the Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week, freshman forward Natalie Snodgrass looks to lead the Huskies (4-5-6, 0-4-3 WHEA) against conference foe No. 10 Providence (9-5-3, 6-1-1 WHEA).

The UConn women’s ice hockey team will take the ice Friday at 7 p.m. at the Mark Edwards Freitas Forum and then head to Rhode Island Saturday for a 7 p.m. game.

The Huskies are coming off a loss in a shootout for the Nutmeg Classic Title against Quinnipiac. Snodgrass accounted for the two goals in regulation as well as the game winner against Penn State.

UConn head coach Chris Mackenzie said that he expects Snodgrass to continue her development.

“We want all of our players to play a strong 200-feet game and become complete players in all three zones,” Mackenzie said. “(Snodgrass) is no exception and with continued experience that should happen in time.”

Senior goalie Annie Belanger continues her strong play – she has 199 saves. Sophomore Briana Colangelo leads the team with nine assists and Snodgrass leads with 10 goals.

This game should be low scoring as both teams have a defensive identity and are at the top of the conference. UConn is allowing two goals, while the Friars are surrendering 2.12 per game.

“Being physical and taking care of the puck is key (on defense),” Mackenzie said. “We must put the puck in safe places and manage our shifts effectively.”

Providence is coming off two losses against Cornell and will look to get going early against UConn. Maureen Murphy leads the scoring with 10 goals, Cassidy MacPherson leads with 12 assists and goalie Madison Myers has recorded 378 saves.

UConn came close in several games but has finished with six ties so far this season. Mackenzie said that he sees ways the team must break through.

“This season has been a process of challenging our team to be better in different segments of the game,” Mackenzie said. “Earlier this season, we challenged our team to perform in second periods and penalty killing and they’ve responded well.  Our most recent challenge is to perform more consistently in the third period … that is our focus area for the next three games.”

The Huskies have only three games left until their winter break and will be looking to capture their elusive first conference win against an impressive Providence team.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.