Latest Keystone Pipeline XL a major win

This Nov. 6, 2015, file photo shows a sign for TransCanada's Keystone pipeline facilities in Hardisty, Alberta, A Nebraska commission has approved an alternative Keystone XL route through the state, removing the last regulatory hurdle to the $8 billion oil pipeline project. The Nebraska Public Service Commission voted on the long-delayed project Monday, Nov. 20, 2017, though the decision could still be challenged in court. (Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press via AP, File)

On Nov. 20, the Keystone XL pipeline project got approval from a regulatory board in Nebraska that will effectively green-light the project. This massive pipeline will stretch 1,179 miles that will connect Canada’s Alberta Tar Sands to Oil Refineries in the U.S. Proponents of the pipeline argue it will create jobs and help keep oil prices down while detractors argue it is a major environmental hazard.

In a political climate that is very divided, it is important to note that a bill allowing the Keystone XL pipeline was passed with a very bipartisan 62-36 vote in the senate; this bill was later vetoed by President Obama.  

I believe this pipeline is a total win for America. It will create thousands of construction jobs in many states along the route. And even more important than that, it will keep a steady flow of oil to our refineries which will surely keep oil prices down. This is a great partnership for the United States with one of our closest allies Canada, and this project will prove to be highly beneficial to both countries.

Like any project involving the flow of oil, there are risks. I certainly do not want an oil spill in the Midwest U.S., but I absolutely do want an influx of cheap oil. The reward certainly outweighs the risk in this case. Anyone who argues against the pipeline because it keeps us from shifting to more renewable energy sources are completely uninformed, hypocritical, and totally privileged. It is interesting to me how the same college students who get on planes (that burn a massive amount of fuel) to go on spring break are the same ones protesting against oil. The same protestors who rallied so hard against the environmental implications of the Dakota Access Pipeline are the ones that left literally mounds of disguting garbage behind after their protests. My biggest problem with this anti-pipeline movement is the pile of hypocrisy it is built upon.

Although the everyday protester is incredibly hypocritical, I put far more blame on the joke celebrities and politicians that “care” so much about climate change. Leonardo Dicaprio rails against climate change at every turn yet enjoys many days abroad mega-yachts that burn an incredible amount of fuel. Senator Bernie Sanders just bought a $575,000 vacation home, a move that certainitly doesn’t lower his carbon footprint. And former President Obama has spent his post presidency days partying on $300 million mega yachts in the Mediterranean, burning an obscene amount of fuel in the process.

I always have and always will stand up for the working class people of our country. People need oil to drive their cars to work and heat their home. Farmers need oil to run machines; truckers need it to ship goods. The list oil is used for is endless.  Anyone who rails against oil consumption is doing it from a place of absolute privilege. It is extremely easy for elitists like Leonardo Dicaprio, Bernie Sanders, and Barack Obama to tell us how to live our lives while vacationing at their summer homes and sailing on their yachts. Thankfully I believe most citizens of our country are rational and don’t side with the anti-pipeline rhetoric. I would like to thank President Trump for making good on a campaign promise to support this pipeline fully. It is nice to have an administration in the White House that truly cares about the working class people of our country.

Alexander Grzelak is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at alexander.grzelak@uconn.edu.