Women’s Hockey: Huskies only earn one point in series against Providence

Freshman Savannah Bouzide eyes the puck in a 2-2 tie against Providence this weekend (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s hockey faced off against No. 10 Providence for a home-and-home series this weekend, looking to earn their first Hockey East victory of the season. The Huskies (4-6-7, 0-5-4 WHEA) fought their way to a 2-2 tie in the third period of game one, but lost 4-1 on Providence’s turf.

UConn was off to a quick start when sophomore Briana Colangelo notched her fifth goal of the season, just two and a half minutes into the first period. Freshman Natalie Snodgrass earned the assist and now owns a team-leading 17 points. UConn was outshot 8-2 in the first period, but managed to carry their 1-0 into the second.

The Friars tied it up less than two minutes into the second period. Brooke Boquist earned the points as Whitney Dove provided the assist. Providence eventually took the lead in the 17th minute, again off the stick of Boquist, her ninth of the season. The Huskies still only managed to get off two shots in the period, compared to the Friars’ 10.

“I liked the way we were playing in the first period. It’s just the second period I’d like to scratch,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

Leah Lum had a breakaway chance in the third period that looked as though it was wasted, but soon after, Catherine Crawley got the puck out from behind the net, right to Jamie Fox. Fox knocked it in at 11:27 and sent the game into overtime. UConn dominated the third period, outshooting Providence 16-6. The scoreless OT period saw four UConn shots to Providence’s three. The 2-2 score went final as UConn and Providence both picked up a point in Hockey East action.

“The last few games we haven’t done that well in the third,” MacKenzie said. “What we talked about all week was being good in the third and rising to the challenge. I thought the team did that.”

This was UConn’s sixth tie in their last eight games.

“This is where women’s hockey is going. There is a lot of parity, a lot of good teams, a lot of well-coached teams,” MacKenzie said on the frequent ties. “You’re going to see more and it’s great for our sport. It shows you that every night, there will be a battle.”

Play shifted to Providence on Saturday as they hosted their leg of the series. Providence got on the board in the first period as Maureen Murphy got her first of the night at 12:21.

The second period saw two goals from Blair Parent, connecting about halfway through the period and then again with less than two minutes left.

Leah Lum scored her fifth of the season for the Huskies in the third, but Murphy connected again in the last minutes of the game to give Providence the 4-1 lead.

UConn outshot the Friars 34-22, but Providence goalie Madison Myers made an impressive 33 saves on the afternoon. Despite four power plays, the Huskies failed to capitalize with their man-up opportunities. They failed to earn their first win in Hockey East action.

This is where women’s hockey is going. There is a lot of parity, a lot of good teams, a lot of well-coached teams.
— Head coach Chris MacKenzie

The Huskies are back at Freitas Friday night against New Hampshire. The puck drops at 7 p.m.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.