Best TV Shows of 2017

Whether they aired live on TV or through a streaming site, whether they were in their first season or their final, here is a comprehensive list of everything viewers have loved this past year. (Graphic by Dylan)

2017 has seen a lot of great shows. Whether they aired live on TV or through a streaming site, whether they were in their first season or their final, here is a comprehensive list of everything viewers have loved this past year (and what you need to catch up on before 2018):

“Game of Thrones” Season 7: Summer 2017 saw the return of “Game of Thrones,” one of many HBO hit series on this list. The seventh season saw a lot of excitement, dragons and even more incest. Unfortunately for fans of the show, the eighth season is likely not coming until 2019.

“Stranger Things” Season 2: Riding the wave of the immense popularity of season one, Netflix’s second season of “Stranger Things” saw all our favorite pre-teen actors return for another fantastic adventure into the Upside Down. This show really pushed its limits with the second season and producers just recently confirmed a third.

“Riverdale:” 2017 saw both seasons one and two of “Riverdale,” the new thrilling teen drama loosely based off the popular 1950s Archie comics. Starring Cole Sprouse, KJ Apa, Camila Mendes and Lili Reinhart, this CW hit has a handful of Teen Choice awards under its belt.

“This Is Us” Season 2: This NBC family drama stole audiences’ hearts with its first season in late 2016 and early 2017 and continued to bring the tears with season two. Starring Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia and Chrissy Metz, this show won an Emmy, a People’s Choice Award and an NAACP Image Award.

“Mindhunter:” Released on Netflix earlier this year, this psychological-thriller takes place in the 1970s and is about two FBI detectives who try to delve into the minds of criminals. Starring Jonathan Groff (“Glee”). While it hasn’t won any awards yet, it has amassed quite a large fanbase and also a whopping 96 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

“The Handmaid’s Tale:” Starring Elizabeth Moss (“Mad Men”) and Alexis Bledel (“Gilmore Girls), this adaptation of the Margaret Atwood novel of the same name premiered its entire first season on Hulu. This dystopian story features an oppressive religious cult that overthrows the American government and rounds up fertile women to keep the declining population alive. It’s dark, it’s compelling and it won five Emmy’s.

“Big Little Lies:” While it may have only been a six-episode mini-series, HBO delivered big drama with this mystery based off of the book of the same name. Starring Shailene Woodley, Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon, the darkness conveyed in this short series was unparalleled and very suspenseful.

“The Leftovers:” This popular HBO series wrapped this year with its third season. The show was about the sudden disappearance of two percent of the Earth's population, and while sometimes a little cringe-inducing, had a very surprising and mind-boggling conclusion.

“Twin Peaks: The Return:” Topping everybody’s must-watch list this year was the return of “Twin Peaks.” The brain-twisting revival of the popular 90s show, brought to you by the same directors, featured names like Naomi Watts, Laura Dern, Amanda Seyfried and Kyle MacLachlan. Fans were more than pleased with this new modern rendition of the cult favorite.

Marvel’s “The Defenders”/”The Punisher:” Both of these shows are listed because both received almost equal praise from critics. Marvel has been teaming up with Netflix to expand their universe in as many ways as possible. “The Punisher” was about the vengeance of Marine veteran Frank Castle, while “The Defenders” featured crime-fighters like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. All of these new shows are in conjunction with the new “Avengers” movie coming out in 2018.

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.