Dorm decorating tips for the holidays

Daily Campus staff writer offers tips on how to dress up your dorm room for the holidays. (Gary Spears/Creative Commons)

Even though the holidays are right around the corner, it can be easy to feel like you’re missing out on that festive spirit while holed up in the library or your dorm room studying for finals. Adding just a few simple decorations to your room can not only be really cute, but also help remind you of how close you are to finishing the semester and add a little happiness to these stressful times. Decorating for the holidays doesn’t have to be difficult or time consuming; it can actually be really fun. Here are a few tips that will turn your dorm into a winter wonderland!

1. Paper snowflakes

This may seem a little childish at first, but making a ton of paper snowflakes can actually be a really fun and relaxing activity! It’s all about creativity, and since every snowflake is supposed to be unique, it’s really hard to mess them up. These are perfect to put on your door, hang from the ceiling or put on your walls. Whether you’re making them on your own during a study break or with some friends, this is definitely a super simple way to add some spirit to your room while also having fun.

2. Decorate the outside of your door

Decorating the outside of your door is the perfect way to show off your festivity for everyone to see. If you have a whiteboard, you can make a countdown to the holiday of your choice, or draw some cute festive pictures. You can also tape up wrapping paper or make a wreath and hang it. Some people go all out with this, and it’s all about how creative you want to be or how much time you want to put into it.

3. Hang up stockings

This is not only extremely easy, but it’s also really cute. You and your roommate can get your own stocking and even personalize them with your names. If you want to go all out, you can leave little presents in them for each other; but if you don’t want to go to that level, they still make a cute decoration.

4. Hang up lights

Many people already have strings of Christmas lights hanging in their room, which really can make a world of difference in transforming a dorm room from dingy to warm and inviting. Adding a couple of extra strings of lights to your room can bring some extra festivity, and this time of the year is perfect for bringing some colored lights into the mix. You can hang them in front of the window, across the ceilings, around your bed or along door frames; anywhere will do.

5. Set up a mini Christmas tree

Setting up a mini Christmas tree is probably one of the most classic ways to decorate your room. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, decorating a tree can be really fun, and you can personalize it with whatever lights or ornaments your heart desires. You can even buy trees that come in a variety of different colors!

6. Bring in some holiday fragrance

Candles may not be allowed in dorms on campus, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find other ways to have your room smelling delicious. There are many air fresheners that come in a variety of holiday scents such as pine, cinnamon, berries and Christmas cookies. You can also buy pinecones; they double as a fragrance and a decoration!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.