Grammy 2018 nominations

Jay-Z performs on the 4:44 Tour at Barclays Center on Sunday, Nov. 26, 2017, in Brooklyn, New York. (Photo by Scott Roth/Invision/AP)

The 2018 Grammy nominations were released on Nov. 28, marking the 60th year of the awards.

The artist with the most nominations this year is rapper JAY-Z, with a total of eight nominations, including “Album of the Year,” “Record of the Year,” “Song of the Year” and “Best Rap Album.”

SZA, breakout R&B artist, is 2018’s most Grammy-nominated woman, with five nominations.

Kendrick Lamar comes in second with seven nominations while Bruno Mars received six nominations.

While there are 30 different field in which artists can be nominated, there are a total of 84 awards, according to the Grammy Awards.  

Of the 84 award categories, the four most prized are “Best New Artist,” “Record of the Year,” “Song of the Year” and “Album of the Year.”

Most notably, this is the first year since 1999 in which a white male is not nominated for “Album of the Year.”

The nominees for “Album of the Year,” are “Awaken My Love” by Childish Gambino, “4:44” by JAY-Z, “DAMN.” by Kendrick Lamar, “Melodrama” by Lorde and “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars.

The nominees for “Best New Artist” are SZA, Khalid, Alessia Cara, Lil Uzi Vert and Julia Michaels, according to the Grammy’s website.

The website lists “Song of the Year” nominees as “Despacito,” “4:44,” “Issues,” “1-800-273-8255” and “That’s What I Like.”

The nominees for “Record of the Year” are “Redbone,” “Despacito,” “The Story of O.J.,” “HUMBLE.” and “24K Magic,” according to the website.  

The difference between “Record of the Year” and “Song of the Year,” as defined on the Grammy’s website, is that “Record of the Year category recognizes the artist’s performance as well as the overall contributions of the producer(s), recording engineer(s) and/or mixer(s) if other than the artist,” while “Song of the Year category recognizes the songwriter(s).”

The different genres in which awards are offered include, but are not limited to, alternative, jazz, pop, R&B, gospel/contemporary Christian music, Latin, rap, spoken word, classical, rock, musical theater and reggae.  

The voting process for the Grammy Awards is little known and consists of two steps, according to the awards’ website. 

“The process begins with members and record companies submitting entries, which are then screened for eligibility and category placement,” the website said. “The Academy’s voting members, all involved in the creative and technical processes of recording, then participate in the nominating process that determines the five finalists in each category, and the final voting process which determines the Grammy winners.”

There are a possible total of five nominees for each award, those in which there are more than five means there was a tie in the selection process, according to Billboard.

Each of the entered recordings goes through review sessions by more than 350 experts to ensure the track meets specific criteria for nomination and is entered under the proper category, according to the Grammy awards website. 

As specified by the awards’ website, eligible voters are “professionals with creative or technical credits on at least six commercially released tracks,” which excludes media companies.

According to the website, the awards began in 1959 to honor the musical accomplishments of those in 1958.

Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Gene Autry and Dean Martin were among the stars in attendance, the website said.

The website said after the 28 categories were awarded, “Much more—in every conceivable way, and some ways still inconceivable—was still to come.”

The Grammys will air live from Madison Square Garden in New York City on Jan. 28 at 8 p.m. on CBS, according to the awards’ website

Abby Brone is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at abigail.brone@uconn.edu.