HuskyTHON pop-up sells apparel and accessories ‘For the Kids’

HuskyTHON hosts a pop up shop for past HuskyTHON apparel where the proceeds go towards Connecticut Children's Medical Center. There were a variety of shirts and sweatshirts to choose from. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Even though UConn’s all-night dance marathon HuskyTHON is still over two months away, students were given the chance to purchase clothes and accessories for the event at the HuskyTHON Pop-up shop.

The shop sold hoodies, crew necks, ringer tees, tank tops, pockets tees, long-sleeve shirts, pop sockets, water bottles, baseball hats and beanies. Many of these items featured HuskyTHON’s famous slogan “For the Kids” and came in a variety of prices ranging from $10 to $40. The event had free hot chocolate from Dog Lane Café as well as an assortment of cookies. There were also free stickers, pins and lip balm for those who had made a purchase.

HuskyTHON is an annual 18 hour dance marathon that raises money for the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. The event usually draws a large crowd of people with the same goal: to help kids in need. HuskyTHON’s goal for this year is set higher than ever before at $1,000,000. Events like the pop-up shop are hosted in hopes of reaching this goal.

Yesterday’s event marks the first time HuskyTHON has ever done a pop-up shop. Before the pop-up shop, HuskyTHON attire could only be purchased through the online store, but the HuskyTHON online store was shut down this semester in favor of the pop-up shop.

“We had an online store that we closed, so we were trying to determine what to bring to this store—like what sold well, what we had left over from purchases," Caroline Weed, the vice president of communication for HuskyTHON Management, said. "I guess the difficult part was deciding how much to get of each product and what would sell the best.”

All profits from the pop-up shop go straight toward HuskyTHON, so it was a good thing that business was booming.

“We sold out of the red ‘For The Kids’ hat in the first five minutes that we had the store open,” Weed said. “We have one more of the crew neck. A lot of things are selling out super-fast, so it’s been really good.” Weed also remarked that by noon they had already made an estimated profit of $500.

Bridget Corsi, a fifth semester nursing major, was excited to buy a hat, t-shirt and tank top from the pop-up store. Corsi thought that an in-person store was a great way to raise money for HuskyTHON.

“It sounds like more people have come because they’re actually seeing it, and then they’re going to buy it, because online isn’t really that tempting. I was only supposed to get a hat, and now I’m leaving with three things,” Corsi said.

The HuskyTHON online shop will return next semester just in time for the dance marathon. The online store will feature clothes and accessories from the pop-up shop as well as new apparel, so if you were unable to get the HuskyTHON clothing or accessory of your choice at the pop-up shop, there will still be plenty of time to purchase clothes “For the Kids.”

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.