Men’s Track & Field Preview: UConn Heptathlon

4/16/16 Track and Field meet. (Amar Batra/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s track and field team will participate in their first of two home meets of the 2017 season in the two-day UConn Heptathlon this Thursday and Friday. The event will kick off at noon both days in the Greer Fieldhouse, and is open to the public.

“It’s great to be home and the kids compete better at home,” head coach Greg Roy said. “They’re excited, their friends can come out to see them and their dorm-mates can drop by, and that’s significant.”

Seven different heptathletes will take part in this event on behalf of UConn: freshmen Sam Rusak and Ben Grosse, sophomores Ivan Nyemeck, Jordan Torney and Nile Uzzell, and juniors Malik Snead and Santino “Sonny” Giannini.

The Huskies will be looking to Torney to set the pace for the rest of the group, as he is the only athlete participating with any heptathlon experience. Giannini got some experience in the heptathlon at Southern Connecticut State University, running there for two years before transferring to UConn last year.

Early season meets are typically used for figuring out what you have in terms of young talent, and this is especially true with the heptathlon as it’s an event not usually run in full in high school, Roy said.

“Usually in the December meets, you get a lot of newbies, you know, guys trying it for the first time because it’s not a high school event” Roy said.

UConn is coming off of a successful BU Season Opener last week, in which Snead and Grosse finished fourth and seventh in the high jump with leaps of 6’3” and 5’11” respectively, and Rusak competed in the pole vault.

Luke Swanson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.