Ten classic Christmas movies to binge-watch this holiday season

“Home Alone”, starring Macaulay Culkin, tells the story of Kevin, a young child who gets left behind as his family rushes to the airport for a holiday vacation. (s_herman/Creative Commons)

There’s no time of year filled with more joy or festivity than Christmas time. Therefore, it makes sense that there are hundreds of movies that celebrate the holiday in all different genres: romantic comedy, drama, comedy, classic and even horror. As we approach finals week, give yourself some time to unwind with one of the many holiday films available. Don’t know which ones to pick? No need to fear—here are ten of my personal favorites!

1) “Elf”

If you’re looking for something funny, look no further than “Elf.” No matter how many times I watch this movie, it always leaves me cracking up. Not only is it hilarious, but it’s also a really wholesome film. Just remember, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear!

2) “Home Alone”

“Home Alone” features Macaulay Culkin in his cutest form as the clever, witty, lovable protagonist Kevin, who gets left behind as his family rushes to the airport for a holiday vacation. It’s another funny holiday classic that will leave you with all the warm, fuzzy holiday feels.

3) “It’s a Wonderful Life”

This film may have been released in 1946, but it still remains one of the all-time best Christmas movies, mostly because of its powerful message about the true meaning of Christmas. In the film, an angel is sent to Earth to remind protagonist, George, that his life has impacted the hearts of many, and there is something we can all take away from that.

4) “Love Actually”

This may have made my list because I’m a romantic comedy junkie, but there really is something special about this British holiday classic. Nine different but connected stories all come together to remind us what Christmas is really about: love.

5) “The Santa Clause”

You’re lying if you say the North Pole depicted in “The Santa Clause” was not how you always pictured it as a kid. You’re also lying if watching this movie, even as a college student, doesn’t make you believe in Santa for at least a little while.

6) “A Christmas Story”

Another holiday movie that has remained a classic throughout the years, this nostalgic film will have you feeling like a kid on Christmas once again.

7) “Unaccompanied Minors”

“Unaccompanied Minors” is a highly underrated Christmas movie that is definitely worth a watch if you’re in the mood for something that isn’t too overplayed. When a crazy blizzard shuts down an airport on Christmas Eve, five kids are left stranded and take the opportunity tocause some trouble, all in good fun of course.

8) “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”

Chevy Chase’s lovable character, Clark Griswold, is all too relatable as he struggles to create the perfect Christmas for his family. It’s definitely another feel-good funny Christmas classic.

9) “The Family Stone”

Again, I’m a little biased because I love romantic comedies, but “The Family Stone” is really worth a watch if you’ve never seen it. It follows the Christmas reunion of the lovable, relatable Stone family, which is made up of an all-star cast including Diane Keaton, Craig T. Nelson, Rachel McAdams, Dermot Mulroney and Luke Wilson.

10) “The Year Without a Santa Claus”

A Christmas movie list would not be complete without at least one animated film, and for me, “The Year Without a Santa Claus” never gets old or fails to make me simultaneously cry and smile. Also, the “Heat Miser/Snow Miser” song is a bop.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.