UConn restructures AD Benedict's contract

Benedict has served as UConn’s athletic director since Feb. 29, 2016, prior to which he served as the Chief Operating Officer at Auburn University from 2014-16 and Deputy Athletic Director at Minnesota from 2012-14, among other leadership positions. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut restructured the contract of athletic director David Benedict Tuesday, increasing his base pay by 22.2 percent per year, while decreasing potential bonus compensation by 50 percent per year.

Benedict’s base pay will increase from $450,000 per year to $550,000 per year, and his contract will run through 2021, the same length as the original deal. While Benedict’s salary will increase, he is sacrificing potential incentivized earnings. Benedict’s original contract included up to $100,000 in bonus pay, but the restructured deal offers only up to $50,000 in incentives.

Benedict has served as UConn’s athletic director since Feb. 29, 2016, prior to which he served as the Chief Operating Officer at Auburn University from 2014-16 and Deputy Athletic Director at Minnesota from 2012-14, among other leadership positions.

With a mind focused on improving the football program, Benedict has made several key decisions during his time at Storrs, including firing head football coach Bob Diaco, re-hiring of Randy Edsall to the same position and hiring offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee through his connections at Auburn.

One big challenge remains for the Huskies’ AD, and that is guiding the university back into a Power Five conference that will bring in loads of revenue for the athletic department. Achieving that in the next four years would go a long way toward improving the state of UConn sports in the future.

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor  for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.