Connecticut attorney general will not run for re-election

Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen will not be running for reelection in 2018, he said in a press release on Nov. 27.

“It has been the greatest honor of my professional life to serve as Attorney General for the State of Connecticut,” Jepsen said in the release. “While my love for the work of this office is undiminished, I am ready to pursue different challenges.”

Jepsen said though he doesn’t yet know what the future holds, he “look(s) forward to advancing the interests of Connecticut for the remainder of (his) term and in other capacities.”

Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen will not be running for reelection in 2018, he said in a press release on Nov. 27th. (Wikimedia Creative Commons)

Jepsen said he knows the men and women of the Office of the Attorney General will continue to serve and protect the state and its residents with distinction.

“They are superb public servants in the truest sense, and I am proud of the work we have done together,” Jepsen said.

Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman said in a statement that George Jepsen is an “extraordinary public servant” who leads with “calm, quiet determination and a true sense of wanting to make the state a better place for residents.”

“He is a good man and I wish him all the best in whatever he does next,” Wyman said. “I’m honored to call him a friend.”

Jepsen was first elected attorney general in Nov. 2010 after serving in the Connecticut House of Representatives from 1987 to 1991 and the state senate from 1991 to 2003.

While a member of the Connecticut General Assembly, Jepsen worked to pass laws to protect the environment, civil rights and legitimate businesses.

His legislative accomplishments include the passage of the assault weapons ban, laws protecting the right to choose and the right to create a living will and laws that reformed insurance practices, including requiring insurance companies to permit new mothers to stay in a hospital for more than 24 hours.

Jepsen was Chairman of the Connecticut State Democratic Party from 2003 to 2005.

Jepsen’s decision comes in the wake of multiple Connecticut politicians’ announcements that they won’t seek re-election, including Gov. Dannel Malloy announcing he would not be running for another term.

Several politicians have announced their intention to run for Jepsen’s position, including former U.S. Attorney Chris Mattei, who had originally planned to run for governor.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.