Fantasy Football: Week 14 start/sit

Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff (16) throws against the Arizona Cardinals during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)

Hopefully you rode Marshawn Lynch to a playoff berth last week, as “Beast Mode” recorded 120 total yards and a touchdown. Last week’s wide receiver “start” Cooper Kupp was average, catching five passes for 68 yards. Tyrod Taylor was a huge bust, scoring only 3.8 points.

Running back “sit” Tevin Coleman was happily on your bench, running for just 24 yards and scoring six fantasy points. Josh Gordon surprisingly managed to produce 84 receiving yards in a difficult matchup and should be started the rest of the year. Case Keenum continued his success and finished as the No. 11 quarterback last week.

Week 14 is here and it’s time to survive and advance.

Start: QB Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers

Rivers has thrown for 389 yards per game with four touchdowns in his last two games. The Chargers are somehow tied for first place in the AFC West and will need to win a home game against Washington before playing the Chiefs and Raiders in the coming weeks. The Redskins are an average passing defense and Rivers should be able to put points on the board to continue his hot streak.

Sit: QB Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams

Goff and the Rams have a marquee matchup with the Eagles this week. Philadelphia is allowing nine fantasy points per game to quarterbacks over the last five weeks, and that includes a 24 point outburst from Russell Wilson last week. Goff has been solid this season, but has put up subpar numbers against similarly difficult matchups with the Seahawks, Jaguars and Vikings. Keep Goff on your bench this week.

Start: RB Samaje Perine, Washington Redskins

Perine only logged 12 carries for the Redskins last week after getting 23 and 24 carries and rushing for 117 and 100 yards the two weeks prior. Perine had to leave last week’s game with a concussion, and when he came back, Washington was down by a lot and couldn’t run the ball much. I expect Perine to get back to his production the previous two weeks when the Redskins take on the Chargers and their sixth-worst rushing defense in fantasy points allowed.

Sit: RB C.J. Anderson, Denver Broncos

Anderson has recorded double-digit fantasy points in two of his last three games and he gets a seemingly good matchup with the Jets this week. You might be tempted to start the former fantasy stud, but you shouldn’t. The Jets are awful against the pass, but are sneakily the fifth-best fantasy defense against running backs. Anderson and the Broncos’ offense have been a mess all season, and that should regress to the mean this week.

Start: WR Sterling Shepard, New York Giants

Shepard was left for dead with the announcement of Eli Manning’s benching for Geno Smith last week. However, Manning is back in the Giants’ lineup, and that means Shepard should be back in yours. Manning and Shepard connected for 11 catches for 142 yards the last time they were paired together in Week 10. The Giants take on the Cowboys this week, who give up the third-most fantasy points to wide receivers this season. Shepard is questionable with a hamstring injury, but if he plays, he’ll blow by the Cowboys secondary with the return of his Hall of Fame quarterback.

Sit: WR Devin Funchess, Carolina Panthers

Funchess has been a stud since the Panthers traded away Kelvin Benjamin, scoring at least 11 points every week. But Carolina takes on the Vikings this week, which means Funchess will be blanketed by Xavier Rhodes. Rhodes held Julio Jones to two receptions for 24 yards last week, a week after Jones exploded 253 yards and two touchdowns. With an extremely difficult matchup, consider sitting Funchess if you have a better option

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.