UConn Bookstore’s textbook buyback program helps students recover costs

Students can bring their textbooks back to the bookstore to receive up to 50 percent cash back, according to the bookstore website. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Students can bring their textbooks back to the bookstore to receive up to 50 percent cash back, according to the bookstore website.

This is limited to one book per valid UConn ID with all original materials such as CDs and workbooks, according to the website.

First semester student Jake Stark said he looks into how much he would save from renting a textbook from the UConn Bookstore or an alternative seller before making a decision.

“I think I would have to compare the prices with renting versus selling books back, and see how much I would be saving from each,” Stark said.

More students are renting their books at a much lower cost, so fewer books are being brought back, Leonard Oser, manager of the UConn Bookstore, said. The textbook buyback has been smaller over the past few years, he said.

Finals week is the best time to get the most cash back, Oser said. Books that are reused again for the following semester are “adopted,” he said.

“Finals time is when we have most of the textbook adoptions for the next semester from the faculty,” Oser said. “Any book that is adopted for another term is more valuable and we would pay more for those books than those that are not readopted or being used in a class at UConn.”

Last semester, students saved over $450,000 because of the rental program, Oser said.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.