DIY ugly sweaters

A good way to tell if your sweater has achieved maximum Christmas cheer is by weight. If it reaches upward of 10 pounds, then it has reached its potential. (Graphic provided by writer)

With Christmas fast approaching, ugly sweaters sightings are at an all-time high. These sweaters range anywhere from an acceptable big and multi-colored attire to what appears to be a stuffed animal version of Rudolph sewn onto a normal sweater. Now, not everyone is willing to delve into a type of clothing already pre-determined to be ugly, even in the name of holiday spirit. Yet, without participating in this fad, one bars themselves from the mysterious and infamous concept of the ugly sweater party.

To truly shine this holiday season, the best approach is to make your own ugly sweater. There are many ways to go about this.

The hardest way to go about creating an ugly sweater is to sit down and knit or crochet it with your own two hands. If you’re savvy in that sense, there are a number of particularly hideous patterns online to follow. The best approach might be to pick muted greens and reds, as well as the blues and whites necessary for snow. These sweaters can turn out much more socially acceptable when worn in a normal, non-party setting. They can also be far less heavy than the alternative option.

The second option goes out to anyone who has no clue how to work a pair of needles. Unfortunately, this involves the purchase of a base sweater. The cheapest of base sweaters can be found in one’s own closet. If you’re unwilling to ruin an otherwise decent sweater, buying one from Savers is a great choice, too. Many of these sweaters are ginormous and hideous in their own right, albeit not in a Christmas way. They are also usually in the range of two to seven dollars, which is definitely worth it for an invitation to an ugly sweater party.

Now, this also requires the purchase of odd trinkets to attach to the base. One good trinket is a bell. This way, your sweater will attract people’s notice from not only sight, but also from sound. It’s always best to engage at least two of the five senses in your sweater. Smell can also be achieved by attaching a cinnamon stick or a pine-scented car hanger. Other good attachments are stuffed Christmas figures such as Santa, Rudolph and the Elf on the Shelf.

These decorations can be attached by the classy method of sewing or the practical method of staples and duct tape. If these sound too difficult, tinsel and strings of popcorn can be wrapped around the waist in the manner of a Christmas tree.

A good way to tell if your sweater has achieved maximum Christmas cheer is by weight. If it reaches upward of 10 pounds, then it has reached its potential. Any sweater that weighs less than that can be added upon more, or left alone for a more simplistic look.

Whichever method you choose, just remember that this is the one time of year where ugly clothing is revered over cute clothing. Go all out, and show that ugly sweater party the true meaning of the word ugly!

Happy holidays!

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.