Holiday events around Connecticut

Holiday Light Fantasia is a favorite among many Hartford residents, and is only a short drive away from the University of Connecticut. (freestocks.org/Creative Commons)

With finals fast approaching, it can sometimes be hard to get in the holiday spirit. Fortunately, there are many festive holiday events all over Connecticut that can help you get the most out of the most wonderful time of the year.

1. Festival of Lights

Olde Mistick Village

December 8

If you are looking for something to do tonight, the Festival of Lights is the perfect choice for you. Starting at dusk, attendees will have the opportunity to get into the holiday spirit with beautiful decorations and festivities. The quaint Olde Mistick village serves as a perfect backdrop for this holiday light show, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants if you get hungry or cold. To top it all off, The Mystic Aquarium will also be participating in the event and promise free entry with a nonperishable food donation.

2. Holiday Light Fantasia

Everyday

Goodwin Park, Hartford Connecticut.

Holiday Light Fantasia is a favorite among many Hartford residents, and is only a short drive away from the University of Connecticut. Goodwin Park is decorated with lights and gives spectators a chance to drive through a two mile winter wonderland. The holiday display costs $15 a car, so if you go with friends it ends up being relatively inexpensive to drive through the park. An event like this would be a perfect addition to a night out in Hartford, and being able to enjoy Christmas lights without having to go out in the cold is definitely a plus.

3. The Wonderland at Roseville

Everyday

Fairfield, Connecticut

The Wonderland at Roseville is a beautifully decorated house in Fairfield Connecticut that boasts over 300,000 lights. It truly feels like a Winter Wonderland, and it is hard not feeling festive when you stop by. The house is not just fun to look at, but all donations made at the house go straight to the Shiners Hospital for Children. It has also been announced that this might be the last year for The Wonderland at Roseville, so make sure you stop by while you can.

4. Holiday Cirque Spectacular

December 16

Hartford, Connecticut

The second holiday even on our list to happen in Hartford, the Hartford Symphony Orchestra will be preforming their holiday show, Holiday Cirque Spectacular on December 16 at the Bushnell Theater. This one day event features the acrobatic group Cirque de la Symphonie performing to music played by the Hartford Symphony Orchestra. A show like this would make for the perfect holiday themed date night.

5. Holiday Events

Everyday

New Haven, Connecticut

For those who are looking to get a little bit of everything, New Haven is the perfect place to go. The city has a wide array a holiday themed events almost every day this December, making it easy to get your holiday fix. This Saturday alone, New Haven will have a Holiday Laser Light Show, Story Time with Santa, and an ice carving competition, along with a variety of holiday themed shows and performances all across the city. With the wide variety of things to do in New Haven, why not experience every facet of the holiday experience in one day?

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.