The best Christmas songs

You know every word, you’ve tried more than once to hit that high note at the end, and Mariah Carey has made $60 million off this song. Don’t fight it. (Screenshot/YouTube)

Having a holiday party? Baking some Christmas cookies? Just want to get in the spirit? Look no further. Here are the indisputable best Christmas songs to blast until the 25th is upon us.

All I Want for Christmas is You – Mariah Carey

Let’s just get this one out of the way. I don’t care how many times you’ve heard it or if you groan when it comes on. You know every word, you’ve tried more than once to hit that high note at the end, and Mariah Carey has made $60 million off this song. Don’t fight it.

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) – John Lennon

In true Lennon fashion, he sings of peace and unity. What better time to celebrate the two than Christmas time? It’s a Christmas song that makes the listener think about the world around them.

Wonderful Christmastime – Paul McCartney

Okay so I like the Beatles. McCartney’s bouncy ode to the holidays is about, for lack of a better term, simply enjoying the holidays. “The mood is right/The spirit’s up/We’re here tonight/And that’s enough”

Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

We’ve all heard “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town” a million times, but no one does it better than The Boss. The song builds up from sleigh bells and Springsteen singing in a low voice to a rocking piano and guitar-driven jam with a full-out belt from Springsteen. Clarence Clemons’ saxophone solo gives me chills every time.

Santa Tell Me – Ariana Grande

One of the few original Christmas songs to see success in recent years, “Santa Tell Me” takes Grande’s sugar-sweet voice and slaps some sleigh bells underneath it. Grande wonders if the boy she’s been seeing is really serious and if he’ll be around for next Christmas.

Last Christmas – Wham!

If you’ve ever had your heart broken around Christmas time, this one’s for you. The 80s synth and saddened croon of George Michael will make you feel the loneliness after a breakup amplified times 10 by the holidays.

White Christmas – Bing Crosby

One of the great Christmas classics. This song makes me want to fall asleep next to a fire after watching Christmas movies and drinking hot chocolate. It’s so calming and conveys the feeling of Christmas unlike any other song.

Carol of the Bells

I’ve always been a sucker for a good choir. The multiple vocal parts in this song and its dizzying speed have made it my favorite carol.

Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee

If this doesn’t have you wanting to dance around a living room (perhaps around a Christmas tree…), I don’t know what to tell you. The song makes me flashback to the very underrated cartoon “Rudolph and Frosty’s Christmas in July.”

Yule Shoot Your Eye Out – Fall Out Boy

This is an acoustic emo jam straight from ’09. If the holidays have you dreading time around your family, go in your room, shut the door and turn up Fall Out Boy. “Merry Christmas, I could care less.”

Happy Holidays, You Bastard – blink-182

If Fall Out Boy wasn’t angsty enough, Hoppus and Co. have got you on this song. The profanity-laced punk song is for those who hate the holidays, family and joy in general.

Run Rudolph Run – Chuck Berry

A rock-n-roll jam by one of the greatest rock-n-rollers of all time, Chuck Berry sings of Santa and Rudolph’s missions to give every boy and girl their gifts.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Judy Garland

No one sings this song better than Judy Garland. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” truly embodies the peace, love and happiness of the holidays.

Schae Beaudoin is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.