Tips for mastering the art of holiday party attire

Even though you may have worn it to your eighth grade formal, it’s all about how you wear it that makes a look work. (TheUglySweaterShop.com/Creative Commons)

1. After the fifth grade, there’s no acceptable time to match red with green

Just because your grammy sports it for Christmas dinner does NOT mean it’s OK. No matter how hard you try, red and green will not, under any circumstances, go together. Instead, pick either red or green and style it accordingly. If you’re planning on going for the green, make sure to also go for the gold. Try a pair of metallic trousers and pumps (Public Desire Rose Gold Block Heel Pumps $42 @asos.com) or gold jewelry. If red is your holiday must-have, make your look pop with a bold plaid print, a winter season essential. Try a tartan coat (UO Blanket Wrap Plaid Coat $89.00 @urbanoutfitters.com) or a pair of plaid pants.

2. Bring back the LBD

As you sit in your closet loathing your non-holiday apparel, don’t forget about that little black dress. Even though you may have worn it to your eighth grade formal, it’s all about how you wear it that makes a look work. Loose, tight, long or short, a LBD is the perfect base for any winter party wardrobe. Layer it over a funky turtleneck (Got No Chill Turtleneck Sweater $14.40 @nastygal.com) or under a festive tweed coat (Metallic Tweed Blazer $68 @forever21.com) to transform a piece that likely goes unnoticed into an unforgettable get-up.

3. Don’t forget, PJs in public are a trend

Leaving your house for yet another holiday party that has little-to-no appeal to you can be difficult. However, there is one saving grace; pajama chic is (finally) a trend. Even though you cannot stroll out into public wearing your kitty Christmas nightgown, you can still feel right at home in a simple slip dress (Slip Dress $15 @hm.com) or a satin pajama set (RD & Koko Floral Satin Cardigan $45 @forever21.com).

4. Keep in mind, there is no such thing as too much sequin

‘Tis the sequin to be worn with no remorse. One magical aspect of the holiday season is that sequin can be worn out of the house and no judgmental heads will turn. The one aspect of sporting sequin you need to beware of in the holiday season, is being out-sparkled. If you’re committing to sequin, go all the way, or stay home. To up-style a sequin piece, wear it with contrasting textures like plaid (Stradivarius Check Double Breasted Blazer $48 @asos.com), fur (McKinley Brown Leopard Print Faux Fur Jacket $114 @lulus.com) or, if you’re feeling extra quirky, more sequin (Sequinned Mini Skirt $49.90 @zara.com)! By matching mismatch, your outfit will outshine the rest in any room.

Lillian Whittaker is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lillian.whittaker@uconn.edu.