Track & Field: UConn Heptathlon Day 1 recap

UConn has four athletes in the top ten following day one of the Heptathlon. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

With day one of the UConn Heptathlon complete, the Huskies have four athletes in the top ten. The competitors took place in four out of the seven events on Thursday, the 60-meter dash, long jump, shot put and high jump.

UConn’s Malik Snead is currently in first place with 2969 points. Snead jumped 7.67 meters in the long jump, which was the best jump of the day from anybody and broke the school record. He also shares the top spot in the high jump with Stephen Cirella of Rhode Island and Benjamin Grosse of UConn, jumping 1.95 meters.

Fellow Husky Jordan Torney is right on Snead’s tail, with 2940 total points. Torney made a great impression on day one, and associate head coach Rich Miller noticed.

“Jordan Torney has had a great day, he’s PR’d in every single event he’s done today,” Miller said.

Other notable Huskies from day one include Samuel Rusak, who is in fifth place with 2710 points, and Grosse is in seventh with 2643 points. Santino Giannini is in 16th with 2215 points, Ivan Nyemeck is in 17th with 1960 points and Nile Uzzell is in 18th with 1938 points.

The UConn Heptathlon concludes today with the final three events, the 60-meter high hurdles, pole vault and 1000-meter run. When asked about day two, Miller mentioned the freshmen, Rusak and Grosse, saying he is “really excited to see how they compete tomorrow.”

Miller is also expecting a big day out of Torney, who excels in the hurdles. Overall, the Huskies look to maintain pace and have another strong performance on day two.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.