Bus tracking system issues soon to be resolved, says university

Though GPS tracking issues for the University of Connecticut’s bus system may be vexing to students, the system should be up and working by Friday, said university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Though GPS tracking issues for the University of Connecticut’s bus system may be vexing to students, the system should be up and working by Friday, said university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

The GPS tracking system is used by students to locate buses and to better determine where and when certain UConn buses will arrive. Recently, however, the system has been unusable by students.

The Live Bus Tracker application on the myUConn App now displays the message “GPS functionality will be limited for the next few weeks as we transition into a new semester.”

While the times that buses will arrive at each stop are available, the movements of the buses are no longer viewable on the map.

This has created issues for students who rely on the buses to get to class.

“I have to use the buses every day,” said Seeni Chandran, an eighth-semester psychology major who was waiting in the snow for the Green Line bus on Tuesday. “If the bus is late, I’m late. I [use the tracker] pretty much every time.”

Without the tracker, it’s difficult to make it to the bus in time for class, students said.

“It’s really hard to figure out when the bus is coming,” said Jasmine Patel, an eighth-semester cognitive sciences major. “I was late to class. It’s really inconvenient.”

The tracking issues are due to the unviersity installing new GPS units on the buses, said Reitz.

“UConn recognized that our GPS system hadn’t been working as well as we would have liked on the buses, so the university recently ordered new GPS units for the vehicles,” Reitz said. “We’re in the process of installing those on-board GPS units now.”

Since the university is in the process of installation, the tracking system has been kept down, Reitz said.

“If the GPS bus tracking system was active right now, only some of the buses would show on it, and we didn’t want to cause confusion among the users,” she said. “That being the case, we turned it off for a few days so we could install the new units.”

Reitz said that the GPS system should be running soon, once installation is complete.

“Our target is to have the system back up and running at some point on Friday unless we run into any unanticipated delays,” she said. “We know how important this service is to our students, and the short-term inconvenience during these changes will be far outweighed by the long-term benefits of more accurate tracking for our bus users.”

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.