Dean of Students advisory group seeks membership

A photo of the Dean of Students office; the dean, Eleanor Daugherty, hopes for the new advisory group to allow for all students' voices to be heard.  (Photos courtesy of The Daily Campus)

The Dean of Students Advisory Group (DOSAG) is a group of students who meet regularly and work on devising solutions to issues that exist in the University of Connecticut community, and they’re actively seeking new members.

DOSAG is a relatively new group and has only been in operation for roughly one academic year. The invitation to join is extended to all UConn students, Dean of Students Eleanor Daugherty said.

DOSAG was created to allow students’ voices to be heard, Daugherty said.

“Student voices matter, you don’t need to have a leadership role on campus. Every voice matters, and this is intentionally open so that I can hear the ranging voices that make up our community,” Daugherty said.

One of the aims of DOSAG is to give students the opportunity to inform Daugherty of any concerns and honest opinions of students on campus.

One of the biggest projects that they have tackled was creating the #WeAreU campaign, according to Daugherty.

#WeAreU was created to address diversity and acceptance at UConn. Students wanted to show the wide range of people who are in attendance and give participants the opportunity to see that UConn is a family all students are a part of, according to Daugherty.  

The student-run campaign was started with the intent that it would connect with students more on the topic of diversity on campus.

That is the ultimate goal of the organization; connecting with the students and allowing them to be heard, Daugherty said.

DOSAG is looking to tackle more issues in the coming years and semesters and will be aiming to innovate more campaigns such as #WeAreU in the future, according to Daugherty.  

Student members are required to attend all monthly DOSAG meetings. Dates and times for said meetings will be disclosed at a later time.

Students interested in becoming members can apply for the 2016-2017 school year by contacting the Administrative Assistant to the Associate Vice President of Affairs Laura Beltran at laura.beltran@uconn.edu.  

Caesar Valentin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Caesar.valentin@uconn.edu.