Winners and losers of this week

Sophomore guard Jalen Adams avoids a Tulane defender during the Huskies 78-68 victory over the Green Wave Saturday. Jan. 28, 2016 in Gampel Pavilion. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Another week and the sports world keeps on going. Here are this week’s winners and losers.

Winner: UConn men’s basketball

This season has been tough for head coach Kevin Ollie’s boys. Injuries, unexpected losses and more injuries have made this season an even steeper incline for the Huskies. This week, however, the team was able to get three wins in a row in six days with only six players. They erased a 13-point deficit in the first quarter to win against Tulane 78-68. Freshman Christian Vital continued his strong freshman season with another impressive performance. Vital had a career-high 17 points against USF and followed it up with his first career double-double with 16 points and 10 defensive rebounds. He was chosen as Rookie of the Week for the American Athletic Conference.

Winner: Serena Williams

Serena Williams is the most dominant tennis player ever, period. Men’s or women’s, it doesn’t matter. On Jan. 28, she beat her elder sister Venus Williams in a one-sided match, (6-4) (6-4), to win her 23rd Grand Slam title. She is now chasing Australian Margaret Court, who has won 24. Williams also returned to the No. 1 in the ATP ranking. She has maintained excellence for over 15 years.

Winner: Marshawn Lynch

Retirement has been treating the former Seattle running back very well. Skittles sent Lynch to Houston, Scotland to talk about the Super Bowl. While Lynch rode his bike around scenic Scotland giving out candy to the people, he learned some of the culture of the Celtic country. Lynch learned about the history and the clothes. He even attempted to play bagpipes and learned how people stayed up to “ridiculous o’clock hours” to watch the game. “Beast Mode done slid through Scotland,” Lynch said.

Losers: The New York Knicks

The Knicks are losers this week because their relationship with Carmelo Anthony has become intolerable for players and management. Phil Jackson is trying to get rid of the best player because he is not performing and is not leading the team. Anthony just wants a ring. But a trade with another team seems unlikely to happen. They have lost six out of their last 10 games and four of those games they lost by less than five points, including the epic quadruple-overtime 142-138 loss to the Hawks.

Loser: Barcelona

Barcelona are losers not because they lost their last game, but because their last tie in the Spanish League gives leader Real Madrid more cushion in the title race. Real Madrid has four points over their rival with one less game played. Barcelona tied against Real Betis 1-1, the 13th team on the table. Their schedule for the next few weeks is filled with strong teams that could put them out of the title race quickly or wear the team out. They will play Atletico Madrid twice for the semi-finals of La Copa del Rey (King’s Cup) and Atletico Bilbao in between for the Spanish League. They will also return to Champions League action on Feb. 11.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.