Women's Basketball: Temple Owls preview capsule

Junior Kia Stokes squares off with a Houston defender during the Huskies 91-42 victory over the Cougars on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia.

Where to Watch: SNY, Channel 64 on Storrs TV listings

Last Meeting: Since 2000, the Huskies are an undefeated 7-0 against the Owls, including two victories last season by a combined 80 points.

UConn’s Last Time Out: UConn won against Houston at the XL Center last Saturday by a score of 91-42.

Temple’s Last Time Out: Temple suffered a 55-51 loss to No. 23 USF at McGonigle Hall in Philadelphia.

Projected Starting Lineups: UConn (20-0, 8-0 The American) vs. Temple (16-4, 6-1 The American)

G: Saniya Chong vs. Alliya Butts

In the Huskies’ last game versus Houston, Chong went 3-for-6 from the field in 38 minutes for eight points. She also added six assists and tied her career highs in both blocks (two) and steals (three) against the Cougars. She currently leads the country with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 4-to-1. Butts sits in second for the Owls with 15.3 points per game, second in minutes per game with 34.3 and first in made 3-pointers with 48 on 32 percent shooting.

G: Kia Nurse vs. Feyonda Fitzgerald

After becoming the 42nd member of the 1,000-point club in UConn history, Nurse put in a solid performance against the Cougars as she scored 16 points, dished out eight assists and recorded four steals in the blowout win. Fitzgerald is first for the Owls in points per game with 18.1 as she is also first with 7.4 assists and 36.4 minutes played per game.

W: Katie Lou Samuelson vs. Ruth Sherrill

Despite only 16 points against Houston, Samuelson still leads the No. 1-ranked Huskies with 21.6 points per game as she is still shooting a blistering 45.9 percent from behind the arc and 50 percent from the field. For the Owls, Sherrill is shooting 54.5 from the field as she is third on the team in rebounding with 7.4 per game and fifth on the team in scoring with 5.3 points per game.

G: Gabby Williams vs. Donnaizha Fountain

Once again Williams impressed as she put up a 19-point, 10-rebound and five-assist stat line against Houston, as the 19 points tied her career-high. In the last meeting against Temple, Williams tied her career-high with 19 points on 9-for-9 shooting, and added 11 rebounds as the Huskies defeated the Owls 85-60 on the road. Fountain is third on the team in scoring with a respectable 13.9 points per game, as she is also third on the team in rebounding with 7.9 per game and first on the team in free-throw percentage, shooting 84.8 percent from the charity stripe.

F: Napheesa Collier vs. Safiya Martin

Collier has slowly put together a real solid season as she leads the team in shooting percentage at 66 percent. She is second on the team with 18.8 points per game and second in rebounding with 8.2 per game. Although she has started in every game, Martin is only averaging 15.9 minutes per game, as the 6-foot-4 center has averaged only two points and 3.3 rebounds per contest.

Talking Points

Gabby Williams on Temple: “Temple is always tough. They always give us a good run, especially on their home floor, they always seem to have more energy. They have a lot of really quick guards, they like to penetrate. It will be another test for us.”

Record Setting: With a win against Temple, the Huskies could establish a new NCAA record with its 35th-straight win on the road.  The Huskies have won their last 34 road games, dating back to an overtime loss at Stanford on Nov. 17, 2014.

Coach Auriemma on Temple: “They have two terrific guards and they are getting better and better. They play hard and they are not an easy team to play…I am actually looking forward to the game.”

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu