The ultimate snow day playlist

Even though the sidewalks are now clear, it’s not too late to enjoy some of these wintry songs as you cozy up inside. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Much rejoicing was had for the snow day on Thursday, and many of us took the opportunity to catch up on work, sleep in or have fun in the winter weather. Even though the sidewalks are now clear, it’s not too late to enjoy some of these wintry songs as you cozy up inside.

“Sweater Weather” by The Neighborhood

This song sums up what it’s like to watch the snow fall outside, while you’re wrapped up in an oversized sweater that you may or may not have stolen from your significant other.

“Banana Pancakes” by Jack Johnson

I’ve always considered this one to be a perfect definition of what a lazy weekend is like. You can sleep late, make a cozy breakfast food and wake up on your own terms - not the alarm clock’s.

“Sleepyhead” by Passion Pit

Fun fact: This song was written as a last-minute Valentine’s gift for the singer’s then-girlfriend. It may be familiar to you from the “Little Big Planet 2” trailers and soundtrack. Considering how many of us take advantage of the day off to sleep until noon, I think this track is fitting.

“Somewhere Only We Know” by Lily Allen

As much as I love Keane, Lily Allen makes this song feel much softer and sweeter than the original, much like lightly falling snow. I highly recommend that you check out the music video for it, since it has some beautiful hand-drawn animation and winter scenes.  

“Winter Winds” by Mumford and Sons

It’s an obvious pick, and also a good post-breakup song. It carries a hope of spring and renewal within its somewhat sad lyrics, while feeling upbeat on the surface level.

“Snow (Hey Oh)” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Also known as “The Song that Plays a Million Times on The Radio” it’s fitting to listen to during a blizzard.

“White Winter Hymnal” by Fleet Foxes

I’ve only discovered Fleet Foxes fairly recently, and they have a very indie-rock vibe to them. This song feels like a good progression tune with a steady beat and marching vocals. The music video is also enjoyable, since it uses stop-motion animation.

“Hymn for the Weekend” by Coldplay

Let’s face it. When you have a Thursday snow day most people are going to mentally check out the minute classes end Wednesday afternoon. Since Friday classes are often somewhat lackadaisical to begin with, it’s practically a long weekend. So might as well celebrate it.

“Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice

Also known as “The Song Only 90’s Kids Will Appreciate.” This needs no description, other than the fact that the title is too fitting not to include on this list.

“Once Upon a December” by Emile Pandolfi

Don Bluth’s “Anastasia” wasn’t nearly as commercially successful as other princess films -notably those produced by Disney- but it has a pretty solid soundtrack. This song, even in piano form, evokes an image of a swirling blizzard outside.

“California Dreaming” by The Mamas and The Papas

Even with all of the snow-day fun, some of us long for the warmer days of the year. For you Californian Huskies, hunkered down in your dorms wearing three layers of clothing right now: spring will eventually arrive. Probably.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.