WBB Capsule: SMU Mustangs

The Women's Basketball team defeated Tulsa 96-50 for their 97th straight win. Napheesa Collier led the team with 24 points. (Charlotte Lao)

Time and Place: 2 p.m. Saturday at the Gampel Pavilion, Storrs, CT.

Where to Watch: SNY, channel 64 on Storrs TV listings

Last Meeting: On January 14th, the Huskies won at Moody Coliseum 88-48 behind sophomore Katie Lou Samuelson’s 28 points. The victory was the NCAA record-setting 91st straight win.

UConn’s Last Time Out: UConn won at Cincinnati 96-49, as sophomore Napheesa Collier scored 24 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, shooting a perfect 10-10 from the field.

SMU’s Last Time Out: The Mustangs won at home against UCF by a score of 63-58, despite only scoring nine points in the first quarter. The Mustangs are currently riding a two-game winning streak, but they are 2-6 away from home.

Projected Starting Lineups: UConn (23-0, 11-0 The American) vs. SMU (13-10, 4-6 The American)

G: Saniya Chong vs. Morgan Bolton

Chong has had a very productive last couple of games, she posting a 20-7-7 stat line against Tulsa and scoring nine points with two steals in the game against the Bearcats. The senior guard did not commit a turnover in either game, as she remains No. 1 in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio, posting a 4.32-to-1 ratio in 21 games played. The 5-foot-6-inch guard, Morgan Bolton is also having a stellar week and earned herself a spot on the American Athletic Conference weekly honor roll. This season she is averaging 5.9 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.

G: Kia Nurse vs. McKenzie Adams

Leading the team in minutes played at 32.4 per game, Nurse is having a very productive season, averaging 13.3 points per game and 4.3 assists per game. She is first on the team in free throw percentage shooting 86.1 percent and second on the team in made 3-pointers, hitting on 42.7 percent from behind the arc. Adams is having a very solid season averaging 12 points and 4.5 boards per game, and has started in every game.

F: Katie Lou Samuelson vs. Alicia Froling

In the Huskies’ last game against SMU, Samuelson dropped an impressive 28 points, as she is first on the team and 12th in the nation in points per game averaging 21.3. Despite her recent struggle from behind the arc, she is still shooting 43 percent from long distance and 49.7 percent from the field. Froling was the only player who scored more than seven points against UConn, finishing with 16 and a team-high 12 rebounds. On the year she is averaging 14.9 points and 10.5 rebounds per game, and she is tied for seventh in the nation in double-doubles with 14.

G: Gabby Williams vs. Kiara Perry

Williams is in the midst of her best stretch of basketball this season, coming off a 10 point, six rebound, six assist and six steal performance in 17 minutes against Tulsa and a 14 point, 10 rebound and six assist game versus Cincinnati. On the year she is averaging 12.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.7 steals per contest. In 27 minutes per game, Perry has averaged 7.3 points, 5.9 rebounds while shooting 35.8 percent from the field.

F: Napheesa Collier vs. Stephanie Collins

In her last game, Collier was flawless, going 10-for-10 from the field and finishing with 24 points. On the year, she is second on the team in points per game with 19.5 and first on the team with 8.3 rebounds. She is third in the nation in field-goal percentage shooting an absurd 68.7 percent on 275 shots. Collins, a 6-foot-5-inch forward, is going to have her hands full, as she has only started nine games and played in 20. Averaging 16.6 minutes per game, she has scored 4.8 points and 3.4 rebounds per contest, and she is shooting 50.6 percent from the field.

Talking Points

Play4Kay- The Huskies will once again participate in the Play4Kay initiative, as fans are asked to donate to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund prior to the game. All fans are encouraged to wear pink in an effort to raise awareness for cancer research.

Coach Kay Yow- The former North Carolina State University head coach was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987 and battled the disease until 2009. Last season, $30,000 was donated to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.

Wooden Award- Junior forward Gabby Williams and sophomore forward Katie Lou Samuelson were both named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 last Wednesday night. UConn is one of five schools to feature two players in the Top 20, joined by Maryland, South Carolina, Notre Dame and Washington.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.