Men’s basketball takes talents to UCF in search of sweep

UConn takes on the South Florida Bulls Wednesday evening at Gampel Pavilion.  The Huskies crushed the Bulls in their 97-51. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Time and Place: 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 11 at the CFE Arena in Orlando, Florida

Where to Watch: CBS Sports Network, channel 67 on the HuskyVision cable listing

Last Meeting: UConn won 64-49 on Jan. 8, 2017, at the XL Center in Hartford. The Huskies are 8-1 all-time against the Knights

UConn’s Last Time Out: 97-51 win over USF at Gampel Pavilion on Feb. 8, 2017

UCF’s Last Time Out: 60-50 loss at Cincinnati on Feb. 8, 2017

Projected Starting Lineups

UConn (11-12, 6-5 The American) vs. UCF (15-9, 6-6 The American)

G: Jalen Adams vs. B.J. Taylor

Adams, like most of the Husky squad, had a standout game on Wednesday, scoring 18 points on 6-for-9 shooting, including going 6-for-8 from three and notching a team-high 10 assists; he is seventh in the nation with 6.7 assists per game. Taylor had an average performance in UCF’s loss to Cincy on Wednesday, scoring 14 points on 5-for-13 shooting without sinking any one of his four 3-point attempts.

G: Rodney Purvis vs. Matt Williams

Purvis has been cruising in his last five games, including a team-best 23 points on 8-for-13 shooting from the floor and 6-for-9 shooting from 3-point range against USF. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Williams performed dismally against Cincy, going 3-for-12 from the field and 2-for-8 from beyond the arc for a total of eight points.

C: Amida Brimah vs. Tacko Fall

Brimah had a game of fours on Wednesday, going a perfect 4-for-4 from the floor as well as from the free throw line, collecting four blocks. Fall had a sparkling performance of his own, justifying his place atop the field goal percentage standings in conference play by going 7-for-7 from the floor, while also pulling down 11 rebounds.

F: Kentan Facey vs. A.J. Davis

Facey struggled on Wednesday, scoring just seven points on 3-for-7 shooting and playing just 25 minutes. Davis performed similarly, going 2-for-7 from the floor and amassing just five points. While he did not start in the last game against Cincinnati, he was quickly subbed in and will likely start again against UConn.

F: Vance Jackson vs Tank Efianayi

Jackson was nonexistent from the floor against UCF, scoring zero points after missing both his field goal attempts and his lone 3-point attempt, though he grabbed seven rebounds. Efianayi had a similarly bad performance, missing all four of his floor attempts but getting two points on a trip to the free throw line.

Talking Points

Purvis the powerhouse: In his last five games, Purvis is shooting 54.5 percent (30-for-55) from the floor and 51.6 percent (16-31) from 3-point range, scoring 87 points over that stretch. With seven total games left in his senior season, Purvis is giving it everything he’s got.  

A historic night: In UConn’s win against USF on Wednesday, the Huskies set four program records in American Athletic Conference play: most 3-pointers made in program history, as well as in an American game (16); most assists in an American game (28); biggest margin of victory in an American game (46); and most points scored in an American game (97).

Lock down defense: The Knights are one of the best defensive teams in the country, holding opponents to a nation-best 35.5 field goal percentage, as well as ranking ninth in the country and first in the American at 3-point defense, holding teams to a 29.9 percent clip. They are also fifth in the nation in scoring defense, holding opponents to just 61.0 points per game.

Stephanie Sheehan is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.