Men’s Hockey: Morgan’s two-goal night not enough for UConn

The UConn Men's ice hockey team was swept by Providence College this year by scores of 4-1 and 4-3. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The Friars men’s hockey completed a season sweep of UConn with a 4-3 victory on Friday night in Providence. A late third period goal from Erik Foley proved to be the game-winner. With the win, Providence has now won five straight games against UConn, and holds a 6-1-2 advantage in the all-time series with the Huskies.

UConn (10-12-8, 6-8-4 Hockey East) tied the score at three with 13 minutes remaining in the game. Graduate transfer Brian Morgan scored his second goal of the night on a power play chance, assisted by Tage Thompson and Joseph Masonius. It was Thompson’s second assist of the night and 12th of the season while Masonius recorded his ninth, good for fourth and fifth on the team, respectively.

Morgan also scored the first goal of the game, an unassisted goal in the first period. The two-goal night gives Morgan six goals on the season, placing him at fourth on the team in his first season with the Huskies.

Providence (18-8-4, 10-6-2 Hockey East) managed to hold off UConn despite allowing the first goal of each period. The Huskies scored 6:20 into the first, 0:29 into the second and seven minutes into the third, but the Friars were able to answer each goal with one of their own.

Foley, a sophomore forward, recorded a hat trick for Providence, giving him a team-leading 13 goals on the year. Two even strength goals, a power play goal and a power play assist from Foley led the Friars to their ninth straight win.

Rob Nichols got the start in net for the Huskies, recording 48 saves in a tough loss. Hayden Hawkey made just 15 saves for the Friars, on a night where Providence outshot UConn 52-18.

In a very rare occurrence, both goaltenders recorded an assist in the game. Nichols recorded a secondary assist on Spencer Naas’ 14th goal of the season, and Hawkey was credited with the only assist on Foley’s first goal. Both were the first assists of their careers.

UConn was handed 14 minutes of penalties in the game, well above their 10.8 penalty minutes per game average. Providence took advantage of the Huskies’ mistakes, converting on two of their six power play opportunities while firing 15 shots on Nichols with the extra man.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.