Men’s Track and Field: Hunter and other Huskies perform big in Boston

UConn Track and Field hosted the 2016 Husky Invitational (men) and 2016 Husky Northeast Challenge (women) where both teams were victorious over Northeastern, Buffalo, Rhode Island, Albany and Southern Connecticut State University on Saturday afternoon at the Sherman sports complex. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Although this weekend’s Valentine Invitational at Boston University was just an exhibition, many members of the UConn track and field team made positive strides with the American Athletic Conference Championships only 19 days away.

Programs from all over put forth their best efforts with hopes of getting results to reaffirm progress in what is looked at as a benchmark event. UConn head coach Greg Roy was quick to admit that his Huskies turned in a solid performance this weekend.

As usual, the list of notable performances starts with Craig Hunter, who took home a first-place finish for the fifth time this season. He finished with a final jump of 5.20 meters, 10 meters higher than the next jumper. Alvaro Chavez also stood out, placing fourth out of 204 other athletes in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:49.35. Additionally, senior captain Chinedu Amonu finished seventh in the 400-meter and freshman Stedman Cook finished fifth in the 200-meter.

“We made a lot of good progress today,” Roy said. “Craig Hunter is really rounding into form. Chinedu Amonu looked tough, as did Alvaro Chavez in the 800. They both looked like experienced senior competitors.”

Outside the top of the standings there were some Huskies that showed signs of improvements. Freshman Steve Fossi tied his personal record in the high jump with 6-foot-4.75-inches and freshman Eric Van Der Els set a new personal record in the mile run with a time of 4:07.27.

The Huskies return to action next week in New York City Armory to compete in the Artie O’Connor Invitational on Friday, Feb, 17.

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.