Women's Hockey: Huskies split series with Maine

The Huskies are defeated by the Vermont Catamounts 4-2 Friday at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs. The Huskies look to play Vermont again tomorrow at home. UConn goals scored by #7 Leah Lum and #61 Briana Colangelo. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team split an away series with Maine (10-20-1, 6-16-1 WHEA) this past weekend and picked up two points to move into sixth in the Hockey East standings, tied with New Hampshire. The Huskies are currently an even 14-14-4 and 9-11-2 in WHEA.

In Friday’s game, sophomore Rebecca Lindblad netted two goals, doubling her point total this season from two to four.

UConn took the lead 1-0 in the first period after Lindblad’s first goal on a power play in which Maine was called for hooking. Sophomore Jamie Fox and senior Jessica Stott were given credit for the assists.

In the second period, Maine bounced back with Morgan Stacey scoring a goal at 14:14. The assist was given to Morgan Sakundiak.  However, Lindblad scored with a little over two minutes to go in the second to retake the lead. Lindsay Roethke and Marisa Maccario were given the assists.

The Huskies were able to hold off Maine in the third period, to win with a final score of 2-1.

Maine outshot UConn 27-22 overall on Friday, including a 9-6 advantage in the third.

Rebecca Lindblad and Annie Belanger were named two of the three stars of Friday’s game.

In Saturday’s game, the Huskies lost 1-0 and were outshot by Maine 36-27.

Maine’s Brooke Stacey scored with 23 seconds left on the clock in the first period. The assist was given to Emilie Brigham.

In the second period, the Black Bears nearly had another goal when a shot from Alyson Matteau went in, but the goal was waved off because of goaltender interference.

Both teams did poorly on power plays with Maine 0-5 and UConn 0-4.

Saturday’s game was the first career shutout for Maine’s goaltender, freshman, Carly Jackson.

Throughout the two-game weekend, UConn junior goaltender Annie Belanger made 61 saves, including 35 on Saturday.

The Huskies finish their season this upcoming weekend in a home series against New Hampshire. Puck drop for the first game is at 7 p.m. on Friday at home.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.