NBA All-Star Game: Husky Edition

Utah Jazz guard George Hill (3) tries to knock the ball from Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017, in Salt Lake City. The Jazz defeated the Hornets 105-98. (AP Photo/George Frey)

As the annual NBA All-Star game approaches this weekend, it is time to take a look back and see how former UConn players have left their mark among the best in the world. Let’s meet the Husky All-Star starting five:

Ray Allen, Shooting Guard

Arguably the best player to come out of Storrs, the recently-retired Ray Allen had a tremendous playing career in the NBA. Allen was a 10-time NBA All-Star during his 18-season career. He competed in the All-Star game as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks, Seattle Supersonics and Boston Celtics. With Allen being considered one of the greatest three-point shooters in league history, it is no surprise that he owns the All-Star game record for most threes attempted in a single half (seven), which resulted in a remarkable 28-point performance. Allen averaged a fair 14.5 points and 2.2 assists through his All-Star games.

Richard Hamilton, Shooting Guard

Once the NCAA Tournament’s most outstanding player, Richard “Rip” Hamilton also enjoyed an amazing career in the NBA. He played a bulk of his 14-season career with the Detroit Pistons. Hamilton played in three All-Star games where he averaged around eight points and two rebounds per game.

Caron Butler, Small Forward

Caron Butler played two seasons for UConn before bringing his talents to the NBA. With exception to a few breakout seasons, Butler has been widely considered a role player and classic NBA journeyman, playing on nine different teams after making his debut in 2002. He was selected into the All-Star game twice, 2007 and 2008, but was only able to play in one due to injury. Unfortunately, Butler only had two points and four rebounds in that game.

Andre Drummond, Center

Andre Drummond recently entered the NBA in 2012 and has already showed he has superstar potential. The current face of the Detroit Pistons franchise, Drummond enjoyed a stellar season last year and made his way to his first NBA All-Star Game as a reserve. He performed well, scoring 16 points and grabbing a game-high 13 rebounds to go along with two steals. Unfortunately, Drummond missed the All-Star cut this year, but he is looking to bounce back in the 2018 season.

Clifford Robinson, Center

The oldest Husky of the group, Clifford Robinson made one NBA All-Star Game during his 19-season career. During the 1994 All-Star game, Robinson played as a reserve and scored 10 points and dished out five assists. The majority of Robinson's 19-season career was spent playing for the Portland Trailblazers.

Sixth Man: Kemba Walker, Point Guard

Kemba Walker is one of the most electrifying players to ever play for UConn, and his skills have transitioned nicely into the NBA. One of the most underrated point guards in the league, Walker finally broke out this season, averaging 22 points and five assists per game. He gets a chance to showcase his abilities on the national stage this weekend, when he makes his All-Star game debut at the 2017 NBA All-Star Game Sunday night.

Ibaad Nazeer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at ibaad.nazeer@uconn.edu.