Quick Hits: Women’s basketball closes in on 100 straight wins; men’s basketball survives Conflict

Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie reacts during the first half of the team's NCAA college basketball game against South Florida, Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017, in Storrs, Conn. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

The weekend in UConn sports has been quite busy and filled with headlines. Among other things, the women’s basketball team inched closer to a big milestone, the men’s basketball team survived on the road and the baseball team began the last week of preparations for their regular season. All that and more on this week’s edition of Quick Hits.

Women’s basketball wins No. 99 easily, big matchup with South Carolina looming

UConn Huskies’ legend Maya Moore was in attendance at Gampel Pavilion Saturday afternoon to watch the women’s basketball team make quick work of the SMU Mustangs for their 99th consecutive win. Despite a relatively slow start, the Huskies came out of the TV timeout in the second quarter with much greater intensity and glided to an 83-41 victory on the back of 22 points from Katie Lou Samuelson, who had been under the weather over the past week. Click here for the game recap.

Moore suggested she and a few other women’s basketball legends would be in Storrs on Monday night as well to watch UConn take on the No. 6 team in the nation in the South Carolina Gamecocks for their 100th consecutive win. Moore even helped the team prepare for the big matchup by participating in the team’s practice on Sunday, filling in to represent the better competition that the Gamecocks will provide. Tune in to ESPN Monday night for the chance to see history being made in college basketball.

Men’s basketball overcomes slow start, hang on for win despite shaky finish at UCF

The men’s basketball team travelled down to Orlando to take on UCF in a basketball edition of the Civil Conflict rivalry. Both teams got off to pitiful starts, with only six total points through the first eight minutes of the game. However, the Huskies went on a huge run, fueled by the play of senior guard Rodney Purvis, to end the first half and grabbed a 35-23 lead going into the locker rooms.

UConn would maintain a double-digit lead for much of the second half, but started to crumble under the full-court pressure that UCF turned on in the last few minutes of the game. With continuous fouling to put the Huskies on the line and several turnovers, the Knights brought the game within three points. However, UCF was also battling the clock and ended up losing to UConn 66-63. Click here for the game recap. The Huskies, who hung on by a thread for those last few minutes, advance to 12-12 on the year (7-5 the American) and will have the chance to improve their record to above .500 for the first time all season against Memphis at the XL Center on Thursday.

Baseball team just one week away from regular season opener

After months of fall and winter workouts, the UConn baseball team’s pre-season is coming to a close this week as the Huskies will travel down to Port St. Lucie, Florida on Friday for a four-game series against UMass-Lowell. The series will include a double-header on Saturday afternoon and will be a good way to get a lot of the younger players involved and help them understand the rigors of a college baseball schedule. Look out for UConn to make a big splash in conference this season, despite the departure of several power-hitting seniors from last year. The team has loads of talent and many players added a lot of muscle over the off-season, which could benefit the team’s durability over the course of the season and hopefully put the Huskies back in the American Athletic Conference championship.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.