Baseball: Captain Willy Yahn to miss time due to broken hand

Willy Yahn swings the bat during the Huskies' 14-9 loss to Tulane on Saturday, April 2, 2016. Yahn is expected to miss 4-5 weeks after re-injuring his right hand. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Junior third baseman and co-captain Willy Yahn has re injured his left hand and is expected to miss at 4-5 weeks of the Huskies' 2017 season.

Yahn, who has been a staple at the hot corner since his freshman year, suffered a broken hand six days before the 2017 season is set to start in Port St. Lucie, Florida. It is the same hand that he injured previously and had surgery on in the fall of 2016.

The Sharon, Connecticut native was a freshman All-American during his first year in Storrs and spent this past summer with the Bourne Braves of Cape Cod League, making the CCBL All-Star Team. In his two season for the Huskies, Yahn is a career .328 hitter with a .368 on base percentage and 26 doubles. 

Yahn may be able to make his season debut in their road trip over Spring Break, but it is unclear at the moment when the exact return date will be.

Penders said last week that two freshman, Anthony Prato and Connor Moriarty, were competing for shortstop, but with Yahn out for at least a month, it is likely that one of them may see time at third base.

Stephanie Sheehan is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.