Last minute date ideas to make it through Valentines Day

Roses are seen in The Flower Pot flower store in Storrs Center in Storrs, Connecticut on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Planning for a date night in college is hard, which means planning for Valentine’s Day can be hell. Everyone is running around, balancing crazy schedules and trying to somehow study for all of their exams. How in God’s name is anyone supposed to plan anything let alone a special romantic evening with the person they love?

Luckily there are many things you can do last minute that are simple, easy and will be just as romantic as some long and thought out Valentine’s Day plan.

1. Hit up a candy store together: Chocolates are a pretty standard gift around Valentine’s Day, but they can get hella expensive and are a little cliché. Instead you and your partner should go to a candy store (like Sweet Emotions in Storrs Center) and build each other little bags of full of candy that you know the other person will like. It’ll be totally unique, sweet gift that neither person will know the outcome of beforehand.

2. Mooyah for Two-yah: There is nothing less romantic than dining hall food. It’s sad, under-seasoned and boring. Luckily Mooyah has a great deal on Tuesdays where you can get two burgers for the price of one. Grab milkshakes and some fries and you have a perfect, romantic meal. If Mooyah isn’t a romantic enough spot to eat, get your burgers to go.

3. Library date: Nothing says “I love you” like spending hours together in one spot. Go to the library, grab a table and hang out. Make it more of a relaxed study day. The best part of being in a relationship is having somebody around who you can just hang out with and who understands you. The library is the perfect place for that. Take some breaks between books and give each other homemade cards, gifts etc.

4. Netflix and chill: This one shouldn’t take much explanation. Grab popcorn, some candy, maybe even Mooyah and put on one of your favorite movies. I hear Superbad is finally on Netflix. Or maybe you can binge a show that you both really like . You can always watch re-runs of old shows or watch some new ones with your bae.

5. Plan for the weekend: If big romantic gestures are your thing, then maybe skip hanging out today. Instead plana larger celebration for the weekend when you are both free and have more time. Today you can just exchange cards or kind words and treat it like any other day.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be complicated to be romantic. Hopefully these tips and suggestions make it easier for you and your partner.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.