Swimming and Diving: UConn competes in AAC’s

The UConn Swim Team ended the regular season with their annual Husky Open in Wolff Zackin Natatorium. Boston College, SCSU, Boston University, and the US Coast Guard Academy attended the meet. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn Swimming and Diving will compete in their AAC tournament this week. The meet will run Wednesday through Saturday. There are four men’s teams and six women’s teams competing. To make the championship finals, a swimmer will have to finish in the top eight.

“We are excited to see how we can compete with other teams in the conference. This will be our first full rest meet of the year so we hope for great team results after training for six months,” head coach Bob Goldberg said.

For the women’s team, Goldberg singled out seniors Christine Pedersen, Sophie Nothnagle and Margot Manning. Pedersen, hailing from Vinterbro, Norway, competes in the backstroke. Nothnagle is from Victor, NY and competes in the butterfly. Manning, from Frederick, MD, competes in freestyle and individual medley.

“All are capable of top 8 finishes,” Goldberg said.

For the men, Goldberg expects good things from seniors Chris Girg and James Donlevy, sophomore Mark Hunter and freshmen Will Kearsey. Girg, coming from Burbach, Germany, swims the butterfly. Donlevy of Lake Grove, NY, competes in the sprint. Hunter of Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, swims the backstroke and individual medley. Kearsey, from Wheathampstead, England, competes in the backstoke.

“They should be very competitive,” Goldberg said. “All of the teams are very competitive at the top end and making the championship finals is quite challenging and will require personal best times.”

The Zone A Diving championships begins Mar. 6 in Blacksburg, Va. The NCAA Championships will begin on Mar. 16 in Indianapolis.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.