Adele sweeps the 2017 Grammys and makes history

Lady Gaga, right, and James Hetfield of "Metallica" perform "Moth Into Flame" at the 59th annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017, in Los Angeles. (Matt Sayles/AP)

The biggest night in the music industry took place on Sunday, Feb. 12. If you were watching at any point during the night, you were in for quite the show. While overall the 2017 Grammys seemed to lack what other shows had in the past, it was still one to keep you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see who would take the Grammy crown: Adele or Beyoncé?

Who else but Adele herself opened up the show in pure Adele fashion—singing “Hello” and standing in one spot, but still killing the performance. James Corden, the host, rose from the stage shortly after. He then comically tumbled down the stairs and jumped right into a small musical number.

Out of the five nominees for Best New Artist, it was Chance The Rapper who came out on top, making history as the first artist not signed to a label to win a Grammy. Chance received an overwhelming amount of support from fans all across social media. The Weeknd and Daft Punk then took to the stage to perform their hit “I Feel It Coming.” Right after, Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban joined forces and performed their hit “The Fighter.”

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance went to Twenty One Pilots, who took to the stage wearing their underwear. Ed Sheeran performed next using live looping equipment to sing his newest No. 1 hit “Shape Of You,” followed immediately by the Best Rock Performance Award, which David Bowie took home from beyond the grave for his song “Blackstar.” Lukas Graham and Kelsea Ballerini took to the stage afterwards to perform a slightly unnecessary mashup of their respective hits, “7 Years” and “Peter Pan.”

Then, one of the most iconic performances of the night—Beyoncé, proudly showing off her baby bump, got on stage and confused all of us in the best way with a spectacular homage to motherhood. With powerful performances of “Love Drought” and “Sandcastles” from her album “Lemonade,” Beyoncé sent everyone watching into blissful mass hysteria.

Maren Morris snagged the Best Country Performance Award and was followed by Bruno Mars’ performance of his song “That’s What I Like.” Little Big Town sang a short rendition of Katy Perry’s 2010 song “Teenage Dream,” which was the opener to Katy Perry’s politically-charged performance of her brand new song “Chained To The Rhythm” with Skip Marley. At the end of the performance, Perry and Marley stood tall against a projection of the Constitution. Gary Clark Jr. and William Bell went up after to perform as well.

The award for Best Urban Contemporary Album went to Beyoncé, who gave an eloquent acceptance speech from a golden note card. Maren Morris and Alicia Keys teamed up for a performance, and then Adele took the stage for her George Michael tribute. She performed a Michael’s song “Fastlove,” but when the singer noticed she was off-key, she halted the performance; dropping the F-bomb, Adele apologized, and, refusing to repeat last year’s Grammy performance, pushed through, delivering an incredibly beautiful performance. The crowd ended up giving her a standing ovation.

Chance The Rapper brought home his second Grammy for Best Rap Album, and then Lady Gaga performed with Metallica. James Hetfield’s mic failed to work, a slight hitch, but overall the performance was power-packed and left us wondering what genre Lady Gaga will tackle next. Sturgill Simpson went on directly after to perform, and then Demi Lovato, Tori Kelly, Little Big Town and Andra Day banded together for an upbeat Bee Gees tribute.

Adele took home Song of the Year—but not before producers cut off Adele’s songwriter Greg Kurstin. A Tribe Called Quest and Anderson Paak took to the stage to give a very anti-Trump performance of “We The People.” Busta Rhymes then appeared and called Trump “President Agent Orange.” The Time and Bruno Mars gave an amazing tribute to Prince—arguably one of the most entertaining performances of the night—and then Pentatonix performed “ABC” for some reason. Chance The Rapper took to the stage to perform “How Great” and “All We Got.”

Record of the Year also went to Adele, which made many Beyoncé fans start to bite their nails. Adele finally let Kurstin talk, and then it was time for the biggest award of the night—Album of the Year. When the award went to Adele, she became the first artist in history to win Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Album of the Year twice. In her acceptance speech, Adele declared that she couldn’t accept the award; Beyoncé was the one who deserved it, and believe it or not, Adele had actually voted for Beyoncé. She delivered a heartwarming speech to the “Formation” singer and tore her Grammy in half, signifying a joint win.

Adele deserved every award she won, and she isn’t afraid to give credit where it’s due. Be glad these two queens have mutual respect for one another, and if you’re like me you’re crossing your fingers for a future collaboration. The 2017 Grammys were definitely an iconic night.

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.