Point/Counterpoint: Which streak is more impressive?

Katie Lou Samuelson attempts to evade two USC defenders in the first half of Monday night's game at Gampel Pavilion. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

In case you haven’t heard, the UConn women’s basketball team won its 100th straight game on Monday night, extending their Division I record for consecutive victories. While this is certainly impressive, is it more impressive than the Huskies’ current run of four time defending National Champions? The DC sports staff debates.

Josh Buser: Staff writer

Connor Donahue: Campus correspondent

Josh Buser: Although both streaks are still active and it may take a few years for us to digest their brilliance, the more impressive streak to me is 100 straight wins. To be able to perform at the highest level every game is incredible, especially when considering the competition UConn has faced. The Huskies defeated 28 teams ranked in the AP Top 25 during the 100-game win streak, including nine wins against the top five. UConn is often criticized for not playing any good teams during the streak, but Geno and company have proven consistently that they can beat the best.

Connor Donahue: Lost in the hysteria of 100 wins in a row is UConn’s four straight national championships. To play deep into March four seasons in a row is tiring in itself. But to beat the best women’s college basketball teams the country has to offer in a single-elimination tournament four years in a row? It’s remarkable. The cast is different each season but the level of success is not. It seems that freshmen come in and pick up where the seniors left off. At this point the crazy amount of success isn't just expected, it’s demanded by Geno and the coaching staff.

Josh: No doubt the ability to keep performing at championship level for four years is unbelievable. However, the turnover from last year to this year was perhaps the biggest “downgrade” in the past four seasons for UConn, and the team continues to win. Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson may have led the Huskies to the majority of the wins in the streak, but this year’s team has been just as impressive. Not to mention, long runs into March? UConn has had an even longer run of “single-elimination” wins for over two years, while each team that is on their schedule is trying their absolute hardest to knock down women’s basketball’s Goliath.

Connor: Everything this team has done is crazy. But four national championships, poised to make a run at a fifth is something else entirely. The Huskies are in a league of their own. The way they’re winning these championship games is extraordinary as well. Dating back to the first of the four titles in 2013, the Huskies have won 93-60 (#5 Louisville), 79-58 (#1 Notre Dame), 63-53 (#1 Notre Dame) and most recently 82-51 (#4 Syracuse). Combined they’ve outscored opponents in the four championship games by 95 points. These are supposed to be the best teams in the country competing on the biggest stage and the Huskies are putting games away by halftime.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.