Lazy Boy on Campus: Let's talk bucket lists

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

An unfamiliar view to the students of UConn who walk in between the buildings of campus on a daily basis. For seniors graduating this spring, this is their last semester to enjoy all that UConn has to offer them. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Slightly sobering little note for all of you guys: we are 4-5 weeks into the semester. For those counting, that means we are almost a third of the way through the semester. For the seniors reading this, that means we only have two-and-a-half months left to do all of the fun things UConn has to offer. So that’s what I want to talk about today: the UConn bucket list. We go to this place for around four years and in those four years there are a lot of things that everyone should experience. I’m going to share the top 8 in my bucket list (in no particular order) with all of you.

1. HuskyTHON: Seeing as this one is this weekend, it may be a little hard to plan for but I very much recommend participating. Dancing for 18 hours to help money for a hospital is one of the laziest things you can do to help make the world a better place. I’ve covered it for two going on three years and seeing those happy kids makes it all worth it.

2. Sunrise/Sunset on Horsebarn Hill: I’m sure 99 percent of you guys have already done this. Looking at the serene countryside from the top of the hill will make you feel like a king. The walk up is a little long but there are many buses that service the area and once you are up there you could stay for hours. I highly recommend bundling up if you go this time of the year, though; it’s a little cold up there.

3. Attend a UConn sports game: Another one that a lot of you guys have probably done. There is nothing like the rush you can get chanting along with crowds in Rentschler Field, Gampel Pavilion or the XL Center. But UConn has other teams that are equally as awesome to cheer on besides our football and basketball teams, such as our great soccer and field hockey teams (which play in the fall). Besides basketball, right now you can go see ice hockey play. And with the coming of the spring season, you’ll soon be able to watch baseball, softball and lacrosse without ever having to leave campus.

4. Go on a date with Homer Babbidge: To preface this, I hate studying in the library. I find the place to be incredibly boring and almost impossible to study in for almost any important exam. That being said, it is a decent place to go and just think or do some work that isn’t too effortful. Or do I what I do: wander around for hours trying to find an interesting book. It is easily one of the best ways to waste some time.

5. Get ice cream at the Dairy Bar: I don’t mean eating in the dining hall or going to the Dairy Bar Too in the Union. I mean physically going to the original Dairy Bar building by Horsebarn Hill and ordering a scoop of Husky Tracks. That ice cream is some of the best in the country and if you say differently then you really aren’t a Husky. The ice cream is great year-round, even during the winter.

UConn is known for its homemade ice cream from the Dairy Bar. It's a favorite among UConn students, who can be found at either of the Dairy Bar's locations by Horsebarn Hill or in the Student Union. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

6. Go to office hours: This one probably seems kind of dumb. Why would I recommend something related to class when this column is normally about having fun? Well, your professors will be some of the most interesting people you meet in college. They’ve experienced many different people and things. Now all they want to do is help you out. Also, they might give you the answer to what’s going to be on your pop quiz!

7. Go to Lizzie’s Curbside: Never been to that food wagon between Monteith and Arjona? You are totally missing out. The food is some of the best on campus and Lizzie is one of the coolest people you’ll meet. She’s been in that spot for over 26 years. I highly recommend the Husky Burger or the Shroom, but if you’re in doubt, just ask them for a suggestion; they won’t steer you wrong.

8. Hang out with your friends: This one might seem a little redundant. I’ve already offered a bunch of things that you can do with your friends. This last one is more of a reminder than anything. When we graduate, we go separate ways from all of friends. And even though we all promise to hang out, a lot of us will be too far away or too busy to act on any of those promises. So make sure you hang out with the people you care about in college to create some good memories to look back on in the future.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.