Men's track team gearing up for the Artie O’Connor Invitational

A high jumper participates in the the 2016 Husky Invitational where the men's track and field team was victorious over Northeastern, Buffalo, Rhode Island, Albany and Southern Connecticut State University. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut men’s track and field team heads back to the New York Armory one last time Friday to compete in the Artie O’Connor Invitational. This will be the last tune-up before the American Athletic Conference Championships next week.

The Huskies are familiar with this venue as they have already competed here once before this season. Back in late January, the Huskies traveled to the New York Armory to compete in the Columbia East-West Challenge. The Huskies came away with a fourth-place finish was a solid result in a field that was filled with nationally respected programs, like  No.4 Oregon. This time around, the Huskies will hope to earn a better result and hope not to get caught looking on their schedules.

This is the last competition the Huskies will participate in before competing in the conference championships. There is a lot on the line, as a team and individually heading into conference championships, and a confidence boost would help. A big result at the Artie O’Connor Invitational would provide just that.

Chinedu Amonu is once again primed for a big performance in New York City. He has been rounding into form over the last few meets, coming away with a top-10 finish last weekend at the Valentine Invitational and will look to close the regular season out strong. The same can be said for freshman Stedman Cook, who competed in the 200-meter last weekend and came away with a fifth-place finish out of over 200 participants. Senior captain Craig Hunter will look to continue what has now been a remarkable season. Most recently he earned two first-place finishes in two different invitationals over the weekend for a total of five first-place finishes this weekend.

The Artie O’Connor Invitational is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. Friday and run until around 10 p.m.

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.