Huskies travel to Maryland to face James Madison

A UConn midfielder fights for the ball during the Huskies 13-10 victory over Vanderbilt on April 16, 2016 at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

After the UConn women’s lacrosse opened up their season with a 16-12 victory over Fairfield University Wednesday in Fairfield, Connecticut, the Huskies are on the road once again to take on James Madison.

The Huskies had strong performances from senior Maggie Tripodi and junior Grace Nolan both recording hat tricks in the win over the Stags, with Nolan also adding four assists to her seven-point day. Seniors Molly O’Reilly and Jacqueline Jordan each had two goals. Freshman Olivia Shapiro and Olivia Miles each scored their first goal of their college career.

The game was close throughout, and was 7-7 at halftime before the Huskies went on a 5-1 run with 10 minutes to play to seal the victory. Freshman goalie Grace Beshlian finished with 10 saves in her collegiate debut.

On Sunday, Feb. 19, UConn will face James Madison University at William G. Tierney Field at the U.S. Lacrosse complex in Sparks, Maryland. UConn looks to improve their success on the road this year after finishing 5-3 last year.

James Madison finished their 2016 campaign 10-10 losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament to No. 9 Stanford 9-8.

JMU’s scoring comes in a variety of ways. Sophomore Hanna Haven, junior Kristen Guadian and senior Margaret Tucker Fogarty all lead the team with eight goals each. Senior goalkeeper Emily Poelma steps into the starting role this year. In their opening game against No. 1 North Carolina, Poelma had a strong performance tallying 16 saves in the 16-14 loss to the Tar Heels.

The Huskies look to avenge last season’s 12-10 loss to the Dukes this Sunday.

Sophia Ross is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can reached via email at sophia.ross@uconn.edu.