Women’s Hockey faces New Hampshire in home series

Junior defenseman Leah Lum tries to shake a Vermont defender during the Huskies 4-2 loss to the Catamounts on Friday, Jan. 25, 2017. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team will face New Hampshire (11-17-2, 9-11-2 WHEA) this weekend in a home series to close out their regular season. So far this season, UConn is 14-14-4 and 9-11-2 in Hockey East.

UConn earned a spot in the Hockey East postseason tournament and is awaiting matchups for the series.

The last time these two teams met UConn won 2-1 in overtime with a goal by Lindsay Roethke. Three of the last four times these teams have played each other the game has gone into overtime.

“We expect two closely contested games, “UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said. “Over the last few years, we’ve had many UNH games go into overtime. We are looking to stick to our game plan and play with confidence as we head into the playoffs.”

New Hampshire has a 41-11-5 advantage in the overall series with UConn.

The biggest player on New Hampshire to watch for in this weekend’s games is senior forward Jonna Curtis. Curtis leads the team in goals (17), assists (16), points (33), shots (138), game-winning goals, short-handed goals, face-offs won (226) and total face-offs (497).

Junior defenseman Amy Schlagel is another player to watch for on New Hampshire. This past weekend, Schlagel had four points against Boston University with an assist and a goal in each game. Schlagel is tied for 2nd on the team in goals (8) and points (17).

For UConn, the leaders in points are Leah Lum who has 28 points off of 18 goals and 10 assists and Briana Colangelo who has 24 points off of eight goals and 16 assists.

Fans are encouraged to wear white to Friday night’s game in celebration of White Out Week. On Saturday, UConn’s three seniors, Kelly Harris, Lexi Lersch and Jessica Stott will be honored before the game.

Puck drop for Friday night’s game is set for 7 p.m. at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.