Softball: Huskies start off slow, but finish with a bang on opening weekend

Alyson Ambler makes contact during UConn's 6-0 win over CCSU at the Burrill Family Field on Wednesday April 13, 2016. The Huskies are off to a 2-2 start in the 2017 season. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus) 

Instead of the Huskies starting out against Tennessee Tech and IUPUI on Saturday, they opened up against Radford and Kennesaw State, due to a lengthy rain delay. The team began the season with two losses on Saturday, but finished strong with two wins on Sunday.

Against Radford, Sophomore Jill Stockley was the opening day starter, allowing four runs, one earned, in 4.2 innings of work. Senior Kayla Doty allowed four earned runs in .2 innings, while Freshman Katie Koshes made her debut, tossing .2 innings of scoreless ball.

Senior Valerie Sadowl and Sophomore Kelli Bates each had three hits, but Sadowl also knocked in a pair of runs. The Huskies fell 8-3.

UConn took on Kennesaw State to cap off the doubleheader and lost 5-1.

Freshman shortstop Kiwi McDaniel was impressive, knocking in the lone run for the Huskies on two hits.

Freshman Carli Cutler made her debut, tossing 4.1 innings and allowing four runs, three earned.

UConn resumed their schedule for Sunday morning and they came out strong, winning each game of the double header against IUPUI and Chattanooga. They defeated IUPUI 7-2 and Chattanooga 5-1.

Junior Chelsea Eckert started and threw 4.1 innings, surrendering two runs, while striking out six. Koshes was dominant in relief, striking out six over 2.2 innings, while surrendering no runs.

Sadowl was the offensive star, as she collected three more hits and three more runs batted in. Cutler smashed two hits and an RBI. Freshman Devon Casazza and Ashlee Dahman each provided the power, clubbing solo homers in the second inning.

To conclude opening weekend, the Huskies only needed Stockley to shut down Chattanooga’s offense, as she pitched a complete game, giving up one run.

Offensively Sadowl knocked in two runs on two hits, one of those being a home run. Freshman Chloe Kerns also blasted a homer, putting the Huskies up in the 4th inning.

Over the first four games, the Huskies left 28 runners on base, which is something they will have to improve on as the season progresses.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.