Track and Field: Huskies roll at Artie O’Connor Invitational

A UConn track and field athlete runs the hurdles at a meet in April of 2015. The Huskies took home first place in this weekend's Artie O'Connor Invitational. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s track and field team was unstoppable, at the Artie O’Connor Invitational Friday, taking home first-place. The Huskies would earned individual first-place finishes, allowing them to earn 100 points ahead of second-place, Monroe College.

In the Huskies’ final pit stop before the American Athletic Conference Championship, they took care of business and did so without a good chunk of their regulars.

“It was a relatively low key meet with about one third of the squad home training or resting up for AAC’s, the kids that competed really took advantage of the opportunity,” Head Coach Greg Roy said.

They sure would take advantage of the opportunity at hand, as the Huskies came away with a score of 168 which was overwhelmingly better than the rest of the field. Monroe College would come away with a score of 68, a total of 100 points behind UConn. Virginia Union came in a third with a score of 59.

The kids that competed really took advantage of the opportunity.
— Greg Roy

The Huskies’ huge scoring gap is in part due to the large number of first-place finishes they would earn with a total of eight. Initially, UConn would dominate the pole-vault as senior captain Craig Hunter came away with his sixth first-place finish on the season. In the 1000-meter, Michael O’Donnell would claim first-place while also recording a personal best of 2:29.13, four seconds better than his previous best time. In the running events, first-place finishes included senior Randall Wall in the 60-meter hurdles, sophomore Kyle Barber in the 800-meter and Chris Heydrick in the mile-run with a time of 4:13.14. In the jumping events, Ronel Forde finished first in the triple jump and sophomore Malik Snead in the lunge with a jump of 7.18 meters. In the weight events, sophomore Sebastian Castano earned first in the weight throw.

The Huskies will be back in action starting Friday in the American Athletic Conference Championships in Birmingham, Alabama.

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.