Women's Hockey: Huskies swept by New Hampshire in home series

The women's hockey team falls to UNH 4-1 on senior day at the Freitas Ice Forum on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2107. The Huskies one goal was scored by freshman forward Briana Colangelo. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s ice hockey team lost their two final regular season games in a home series against the New Hampshire Wildcats.

It was a weekend to forget for the Huskies as they dropped to 9-13-2 in Hockey East and seventh place in the Hockey East.

On Friday, the Huskies took an early lead thanks to junior Cydnee Cook, who scored her first career goal 4:57 minutes into the first period.

UConn was unable to maintain the lead and with five minutes to go in the second period, Amy Schlagel scored for the Wildcats to make it 1-1.

From that point on, the game was all for New Hampshire. They scored once again in the second period through Nicole Dunbar who scored on the power play.

Two more power-play goals followed in the third period for the Wildcats to seal the 4-1 victory.

“We are not finding ways to score right now and hopefully we can solve that for next week’s playoffs,” Head Coach Chris McKenzie said.

On Saturday, the Huskies and Wildcats returned to Freitas Ice Forum on UConn’s senior day for a rematch.

Kelly Harris, Lexi Lersch and Jessica Stott were honored at the beginning of the game.

“They have been here for four years just like our coaching staff. They embody the growth of our program over the last four years,” McKenzie said. “I’m proud of them.”

Lersch is injured and won’t be able to play for the rest of the year.

After the ceremony the puck dropped and it was game on.

The teams were scoreless in the first period with opportunities for both. UConn outshot New Hampshire 11-10.

In the second period UConn mishandled the puck while they were in the power play and New Hampshire’s forward Jonna Curtis scored to put UNH on top.

Freshman Briana Colangelo tied the game for UConn assisted by junior Leah Lum.

Lum got the puck from the board and passed in front of the net for Colangelo to fire a shot past UNH’s goaltender Hillary Cashin in the 14th minute of the second period.

Only 30 seconds after UConn equalized the game, Carlee Toews scored for New Hampshire. Toews would score once more at the beginning of the third period.

The Huskies pulled goaltender Annie Belanger, hoping it would give the team the necessary player advantage to cut into the Wildcats’ lead but the Huskies gave away the puck and Curtis had a breakaway to score on an empty net.

“It’s frustrating, I think we played well and had some breakdowns that put us behind the eight-ball,” McKenzie said.

For UConn, this series is one to forget and move on. They will put their energy towards North-eastern in the Hockey East playoffs.

UConn has played Northeastern three times this year and lost all three games.

Northeastern (14-8-2) is second in the conference and will host UConn on Friday at Mathews Arena in Boston.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.