Women’s Hockey: UConn closes out regular season and readies for Northeastern

The women's hockey team falls to UNH 4-1 at the Freitas Ice Forum on Friday, Feb. 17, 2107. Junior Cydnee Cook (Winnipeg, Manitoba) notched her first career goal to give UConn a 1-0 lead 4:57 into the first period. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team finished out their regular season on Saturday with a 4-1 loss against the University of New Hampshire. Saturday was senior night for the Huskies, who are saying goodbye to Kelly Harris, Lexi Lersch and captain Jessica Stott.

“They brought a lot. They’ve been here for four years, just like our coaching staff,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said. “They really embodied the growth of the program. They each contributed in their own way. I’m proud of them. We really just want to thank them, I’m grateful to coach them.”

The Huskies finished the season in seventh overall in Hockey East. They will meet Northeastern in their first postseason appearance. Northeastern’s last game of the year was a 7-1 loss to Boston University.

“Hopefully they continue,” MacKenzie joked. “Let’s get a streak going!”

Notable performances over the course of the regular season feature goalie Annie Belanger, who has been nothing short of extraordinary this season. Over her 30 games and over 1700 minutes on the ice, she has saved 872 shots, giving her a save percentage of .931.

“She’s been really good. A real rock,” MacKenzie said. “She’s someone who really does well off the ice academically. She really puts a lot into it and gets rewarded with great performances.”

Another strong player has been forward Leah Lum. As UConn’s leading goal scorer this season, Lum has impressed. Over 33 games, she’s scored 18 goals and 11 assists.

“Leah’s had a great year. She had a breakout year. She’s only played forward for about a year and a half now. She’s really just done a great job, she’s done a lot of extra work on and off the ice and it’s really paid off.”

Freshman Briana Colangelo has been impressive in her first season in Storrs. Over her 34 games played, she’s notched nine goals along with 16 assists.

UConn finished the season 14-16-4. Their 9-13-2 record against Hockey East opponents sets them up to face off against Northeastern on Friday night at Matthews Arena in Boston.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.